Problems capturing using Cineform Aspect HDV Device Control in PPro CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Problems capturing using Cineform Aspect HDV Device Control in PPro CS3

After being really happy with PPro 1.5.1 with the Cineform license plug-in, I decided to upgrade to PPro CS3 (Full, paid, activated, etc) with Aspect HD (trial version at this point).

When attempting a batch capture with the new SW, I click on the same two dialog boxes I normally get (about overriding capture settings and inserting the correct tape), and then I got the messages I've attached below. Then PPro crashes and terminates.

Here's what I've done to run this down:
Uninstalled Aspect
Uninstalled and Reinstalled PPro without all the other CS3 programs (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
Reinstalled Aspect
Confirmed I'm running the latest updates of each.

Before reinstalling Aspect, I tried the process with 1.5.1. again -- worked fine
Created new project and tried with just PPro CS3 -- fine
Installed Aspect, Created new Cineform HDV project, but using Adobe's capture and device control settings -- fine
Same as above but with Cineform Capture settings but Adobe HDV device control -- fine
Switched to Cineform HDV Device control -- problem reoccurs.
Normally it wouldn't be that big a deal but a) the Aspect documentation says to use all the Cineform controls and settings, and b) using the Cineform Device control is the only way I can get the Capture Type drop-down box to work (so I can capture video only without audio, which I do a lot).

Hardware -- P4 3.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, 1x250GB HDD, 1X1TB HDD (both internal), 1x750GB HDD external USB
Capturing using Sony HC3 as deck. Using XP Pro SP2 and all the latest updates. All extraneous programs shut down before launching or installing NLE SW.

Obviously searches on Google, all Adobe forums, FAQs, Manuals etc turned up nothing or I wouldn't post here.

Sorry if this is too much info but I wanted to run down all the details if necessary.

As the error messages refer to debugging and C++ runtime errors, could I be missing something from XP Pro SP2? I'm probably missing something really obvious here...

Thanks for any help from the Davids or anyone else who has a guess at this...

Last edited by Adam Gold; May 8th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Major Player

HDLink

Have you tried capturing with HDLink?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Major Player

When I did my upgrade from Pro2 to cs3 I reinstalled windows and started from the beginning all the installation process. I am thinking that your problem is the premier installation and not CF trial version.

Ohh and yes try HD link also first.

Good Luck
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, HDLink works fine, as it's completely outside PPro. But its functionality is even more limited that what I can do even with PPro not working properly. I really prefer to be able to batch capture by marking all the ins and outs, specifying Video only, and walking away, just as I've always done with 1.5.1. I do a lot of sports videos for the community and I usually end up capturing no more than 10% of any given tape.

I've had a sneaking suspicion that a Windows reinstall might be necessary but I've been trying to avoid that.

Just goes to show you that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everything was fine with 1.5.1 and the free Cineform Plug-in.
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Okay, a little further experimenting:

Created new project in 1.5.1 using Cineform presets. Everything works perfectly, including batch capture using Cineform HDV Device Control.

Opened same project in CS3. Same symptoms as before, but I should modify one symptom: the errors appear any time I try to use marked in and out points, whether it is a single clip (Capture>In/Out) or batch capture. Using Capture>Tape with scene detect works fine.

And again all works fine when using Adobe's DV/HDV device control rather than Cineform HDV Device Control.

So I thought about using 1.5.1 to capture and CS3 to edit, but as probably everybody but me already knew, once you save a project in CS3 you can't open it in 1.5.1 -- it immediately crashes and terminates.

So it looks like I may just stick with 1.5.1 and have a very expensive doorstop of CS3 -- all 16 pounds of it, with manuals -- sitting on my shelf if I can't figure out what's wrong. I suppose having Aspect over 1.5.1 may give me some benefits but I'm not sure they're worth the $$ if all it means is speedier renders.

I guess I can save CS3 and Aspect for when I get a new PC next year and have a really clean Windows install -- providing I can get one with XP at that point.

Any thoughts are welcome...

Thanks again,

ag
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Any thoughts are welcome...
Others may have ideas on how to fix CS3/Aspect import, and I know it's already been mentioned a couple of times and you prefer to import into Premiere, but if any thoughts are welcome, I would again suggest you consider HDLink. Scene detection works well, and you can convert on the fly, and keep the m2t and/or CFHD avi. I don't know if CS3/Aspect import works on my computer because, honestly, I don't even bother with it. It's not what you were searching for, but might prove helpful nonetheless.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It's a good suggestion and I appreciate it, but it's more cumbersome and gives me fewer features than just not upgrading at all.

I was really hoping one of the Davids from Cineform would offer an opinion on this. Obviously the problem is unique to my system but I was hoping someone could give me some more troubleshooting ideas. And Adobe Support, predictably, points the finger at Cineform.

I was really looking forward to a CS3/Aspect workflow. Appreciate all the time and effort you guys give to these forums and hope you can offer some thoughts.

Thanks again,

ag
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry, I haven't jumped in as I have no clue. Please try tech support as they can try and mimic you setup.
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Just to sort of close the loop on this one...

Got the following response from Cineform yesterday:

"I get the same error message on two different systems. Funny thing is that it works in 1.5.1 and 2.0, but load the same project into CS3, and then the error occurs.

"David is asking Adobe what they've changed to cause this to happen. We'll fix it as soon as we hear back from them."

So it's good to know that a) I'm not crazy, b) it's not my PC, and c) Cineform is incredibly responsive. It's good to know they're on our side, and strengthens my faith in them and in their products.

On the other hand, got a response from Adobe yesterday as well, wherein they made it clear they really hadn't read my trouble ticket; they suggested uninstalling Aspect. I'd made it clear that I'd already done that and the issue only occurs when using Aspect with CS3, not with 1.5.1. And that the whole point of all this is to use Aspect, as I have no intention of editing mpegs.

As I've found an okay workaround, Cineform's response gives me enough confidence to proceed in the hopes they'll have a fix at some point for this admittedly arcane situation.
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Inner Circle

These guys are amazing! They sent me a patch and it works! I'm probably the only on one the planet with this problem and they didn't even wait for the next release to fix it.

Amazing.

Thanks Jake and Dave. You've got a fan for life...
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
These guys are amazing! They sent me a patch and it works! I'm probably the only on one the planet with this problem and they didn't even wait for the next release to fix it.

Amazing.

Thanks Jake and Dave. You've got a fan for life...
We need the same patch...can anyone give us a link or email us the patch? David, you around here today?

Exactly the same probs. We hadn't checked out the newest CF update with batch capturing from this Sony V1, but now it's crashing our batch captures...

Tnx
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jake at Cineform said I should feel free to post it, so here it is.*

Make sure you save the attached file into c:\program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs3\plug-ins\en_us\Cineform and replace the file that is already there.

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Jake said this will be included in the next build, btw.

*Okay, correction. It's a prm file which isn't supported by the Manage Attachments function here on this page, so PM me with your email address if you want and I'll send it off to you.

Until you install the patch, you can work around the problem by simply switching back to Adobe's DV/HDV Device Control right before you hit "Batch Capture." The only reason I used the Cineform Device Control at all is that I needed to capture Video Only, and Adobe Device control wouldn't let me when using a Cineform project. It would if it was a simple Adobe, non-Cineform project, though.

Last edited by Adam Gold; October 17th, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Jake at Cineform said I should feel free to post it, so here it is.*

Make sure you save the attached file into c:\program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs3\plug-ins\en_us\Cineform and replace the file that is already there.

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Jake said this will be included in the next build, btw.

*Okay, correction. It's a prn file which isn't supported by the Manage Attachments function here on this page, so PM me with your email address if you want and I'll send it off to you.

Until you install the patch, you can work around the problem by simply switching back to Adobe's DV/HDV Device Control right before you hit "Batch Capture." The only reason I used the Cineform Device Control at all is that I needed to capture Video Only, and Adobe Device control wouldn't let me when using a Cineform project. It would if it was a simple Adobe, non-Cineform project, though.
Thanks Adam, and thanks Jake: stephen@armours.com
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #14
New Boot

I have exactly the same problem with Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Can you send me the patch as well!

thx
Eric
Erich Reisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Major Player

Now I did an upgrade to propect HD and this last version is not capturing well using Ppro cs3.
Is capturing the files twice and some of the scenes are not comming completed. Also the computer is extrimely slow.

I need some help to find dout what could be wrong.

I'm going to try the new Jan 4 version to see if its solved.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase