Video Card(s) for Three Displays at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Video Card(s) for Three Displays

I am about to construct a new computer to be used both for still and video image editing, using both Photoshop CS3 and PProCS3. I want to use two LCD displays for the application programs and, in the case of PProCS3, one tv monitor to be used for previews. I presently have a Sony SD monitor but I may want to replace that with an HD monitor since I will want to use Aspect HD to edit HDV files. I have searched the forum for relevant threads and found a few which address the display issue but I am a little confused by the proposed solutions and would like some help.

1. I have seen the reference to the Matrox Parhelia card, but it permits HDTV output only if the other two displays are not connected by DVI. Is there any disadvantage to connecting the two LCD screens (probably Dell ultrawide 2407's) in non-DVI mode?

2. I have other graphics programs which would take advantage of more powerful and sophisticated GPU's than the GPU and memory on the Parhelia card. Are there any other single card solutions? I have seen reference to the NVidia Fx1500 as having both dual display and hdtv out capabilities. Will this card work with the PPro/Aspect combination to allow HDTV preveiws?

3. There have been a few references to two video card solutions in a few threads, in which the video overlay of the first card is used for the preview monitor and the second card is used for the second lcd display screen. Is the spread of application information over the two lcd screens in this two card configuration acheived in the same way as using a single dual output card to spread the application over the two screens? If so, can someone who has used this two card solution be a little more specific in how it is set up (i.e.,how are the display dialogue boxes set up)? If the FX1500 is not a single card solution can it be used with a second less expensive card to drive the second lcd display?

4. I have also seen reference to using an AJA card as the second card, but that is a very exensive solution, especially for someone who is only editing HDV format. Are there any other less expensive cards which will do the trick?

Since putting together the system is an expensive undertaking I'd like to get it right the first time, so thanks for any help you can give.
Ken Lemberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

you might want to get a dual output video card to handle the two lcd displays
and consider the Black Magic Intensity card to handle a HDMI input/output...

If your getting two 24 inch Dells... thats a lot of area for your eyes to work with...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unfortuantely CineForm isn't currently supporting the Intensity as an output/preview display card -- it is input only through HDLink.
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Ray - Yeah. I've been thinking about 20's instead of 24's. It would certainly help finance a Xena card.
Ken
Ken Lemberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Unfortuantely CineForm isn't currently supporting the Intensity as an output/preview display card -- it is input only through HDLink.
Hi David. Just a question on this matter, as I've seen your answer before and wanted to ask:

*** is that a "feature-to-be" for CF, or is there zilch future hope for that feature? ***
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

more than zilch. :)
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lemberger View Post
Ray - Yeah. I've been thinking about 20's instead of 24's. It would certainly help finance a Xena card.
Ken
22" are the sweet-spot right now. Half the $ of 24".

Two cards are a fine solution. You can have up to 4 screens with two cards. Stick two the same brand Ati/Nvidia (they can be differant models an expensive and one cheap for eg.) Make overlay one of the displays for the main card, and the screens from the second card an extension of the desktop. Make sure the cards are Cineform approved. I have read some probs with Nvidia, so check first.
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #8
New Boot

Ken - Thanks for the info about using two cards. I have checked the NVidia display software manual online and have read the section pertaining to using more than one video card to control multiple monitors and it confirms what you suggest. This may be the best solution for me. I think the NVidia problem you are referring to has been mentioned in previous posts. Apparently, the GeForce 8xxx series cards do not support video overlay (or at least not satisfactorily). After I finally construct the system, I'll report on the utility of whichever solution I use. Thanks agaion for the suggestion.
Ken
Ken Lemberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase