AspectHD/Blackmagic Intensity/HVR-V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Major Player

AspectHD/Blackmagic Intensity/HVR-V1U

Having just recently purchased Cineform Aspect HD, I am again drawn to the idea of using a Blackmagic Intensity card with my V1U to achieve 4:2:2 (not to mention, also bypassing 25mbps long-GOP and getting 1920x1080)

Has anyone here had much success with this combo? I'd love to know if all these factors add up to a big difference.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The quality jump is large to use the HDMI output Intensity vs tape based HDV compression. However, one small correction, Aspect HD is only licensed to 1440x1080 not 1920x1080, so it will scale the HMDI output to 1440x1080 on the fly. Note: this is not a big quality factor as the V1U is only 1440x1080 4:2:2 internally. For 1920x1080 encoding you need Prospect HD or NEO HD.
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David,

I intend to build an editing system based on ProspectHD/ Intensity Pro. This is specially for materials shot on Sony Z1.

Z1 > Prospect HD (4:2:2 / 1920 X 1080) > Edit (PPro) > Post (After Effects/Combustion) > Output to Beta SP (720 x 576). your suggestions?

When I tried the ProspectHD demo (w/o Intencity Pro), the upscale to 1920 X 1080 did not work. I was ingesting materials shot with an adaptor and M2 adaptor setting was on. Ingesting to 1440 x 1080 worked fine. What went wrong with the 1920 setting?

Although Cineform suggests using Matrox Pahilia, Intencity pro advises not to use Matrox graphics cards. What is your advise?

Thanks.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
The quality jump is large to use the HDMI output Intensity vs tape based HDV compression.
David; can you please clarify? Is this when shooting live only? Is there any difference if playing back from tape (already hdv compressed) firewire vs hdmi capturing.

Curt
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Once you go to tape the damage has been done, live captures only.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Maheel,

If the upscale didn't as it should, please file a trouble ticket with support.

As for graphic cards, the AJA Xena LHe card is the best way to go for Prospect HD, yet most ATI and NVidia will work.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Major Player

I wonder if it's safe to extend an HDMI cable by about 50-75 feet from the camera to the Intensity. That's how far away I am from my desktop computer when I'm shooting video in my living room.

For home-theater use I heard 75 feet is fine (with a good cable) but I'm not sure if video capturing is a different story.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

David,

The trial version of ProspectHD has expired. so I do not think that I will be able to file a trouble ticket.

I was considering Intencity Pro / ProspectHD combination. Isn't it possible to get my worlflow (stated in my earlier post) using that?

Thanks.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I wonder if it's safe to extend an HDMI cable by about 50-75 feet from the camera to the Intensity. That's how far away I am from my desktop computer when I'm shooting video in my living room.

For home-theater use I heard 75 feet is fine (with a good cable) but I'm not sure if video capturing is a different story.
I don't know the HDMI distances, but it is digital, so home-theater should bhavor the same.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maheel Perera View Post
David,

The trial version of ProspectHD has expired. so I do not think that I will be able to file a trouble ticket.

I was considering Intencity Pro / ProspectHD combination. Isn't it possible to get my worlflow (stated in my earlier post) using that?

Thanks.

You can file a trouble ticket. Go to cineform.com/support

We haven't integrated the Intensity card for playback within Prospect HD, that is quite a lot of work. We do hope to find the time to do that work before the next great thing hits the market. That said, don't wait for a feature that is not here.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Since my main requirement is getting SD Component fron HDV footage after edit, (and not in a position to invest around 15K on a Xena system,) how about outputting through Convergent Design HD connect, to the BetaSP deck.

This way I could edit using PPro/Cineform and output from the PPro tineline. Any thing I may have misunderstood?
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

A Xena card is one tenth of that cost with real-time integration that you will not get from Convergent Design box.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

David,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Xena card is one tenth of 15K. But According to their website the certified system would cost around 15K. I may have missed something. Please correct me.

Since with Cineform/PPro combination I could get realtime editing ( I could use my existing machine), I thought it would be easier to do the final HDV output through the the convergent Design Box to BetaSP deck.

SonyZ1 > capture via firewier/ Cineform HDLink > Edit/Cineform avi/ PPro > HDV Output > Convergent Design Box > BetaSP deck

Your advise Please.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I simple disagree that using the Convergent Design Box makes a functional workflow. The AKA 15K spec is overkill and is for uncompressed HD, which is painful -- it doesn't apply to CineForm users. If you have a modern dual core PC (these days a $1000 PC,) you can plug in an AJA Xena card with Prospect HD and go. That is all you need.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Instant reply. Thanks David.

Yes If I could plug in a Zena in to a Dual Core machine, that solves everything.

Thanks again David.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase