prospect workflow question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

prospect workflow question...

new to prospect, from start to finish just want to see if this is a viable workflow for working with the latest prospect build.

for this particular project:

shoot 60i on canon A1
capture using hdlink (film scan) over firewire, cineform avi
create/edit project in cs3
export project: cineform hd optimized, 1920x1080, square pixels, deinterlace

I use tmpgenc to convert file for dvd delivery
for flash I use cs3 flash encoder

so is this a good workflow? any changes or additions that i should consider?

thanks
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Mark.. this isn't 100% on topic of your question, but in the case of TMPGenc and Flash, I have achieved excellent results as follows:

1 - Encode your project in TMPenc at the framesize you wish to display in your Flash movie. De Interlace (I find that "adjusted interpolation/de-interlace always" yields best results for me) as well.

2 - Encode with Flash encoder @ 100% framesize at the datarate of your choice.

TMPGenc is superior to Flash Encoder for rescaling.... I am very pleased with the results of this combo.

I am only using Aspect, but I'm sure you would see similar results as well.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Use Cineform HD Export

Mark,
I shot a project in 1920x1080 and cut it in Premiere w/Prospect then used Encore to make demo DVDs.

After you've locked your edit to Export / Movie. Next, be sure and go to Settings, choose Cineform HD Export.

Of course, for your other settings you'll choose 720x480, then 29.97 for your frame rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio should be "D1/DV Widescreen (1.2)". In Keyframe and Rendering choose Progressive. After you render your timeline, open Encore and import the just-rendered AVI and either build a DVD with menus are just make a simple burn. I have gotten outstanding results using this method.
Jim Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Long View Post
In Keyframe and Rendering choose Progressive.
Jim... are you outputting progressive DVD, or regular interlaced?

If the former, I understand your output choice, if the latter... seems like you are taking an unnecessary resolution hit?
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
Jim... are you outputting progressive DVD, or regular interlaced?

If the former, I understand your output choice, if the latter... seems like you are taking an unnecessary resolution hit?
Marty,
You're correct....I choose Progressive, which most most set-top players now handle nicely. The main reason for my response was that I thought you might be taking a too many steps--costing you time and resolution when most of the elements for producing great looking dvds are bundled with Premiere and Prospect. However, for producing Flash movies, I've never used TempGenc, rather choosing the Sorenson codec that comes with the production package.
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Jim....

If a progressive frame is your goal, from my own results and results of others' in-depth analysis, TMPGenc yields a superior output to any other option in my workflow. I have found that rescaling a framesize is also best done with TMPGenc as well.

So far as resolution is concerned, the preservation of perceived resolution is my top priority, which is why TMPGenc is a good choice. It gives me a lot of control over how my edit is deinterlaced at output. I prefer this approach rather than deinterlace at ingest so that I can work with the native (in my case - interlaced), max resolution throughout the edit process. Plus, it allows me to more accurately target the end user. If my project is destined for DVD on an interlacing device, then I wouldn't want their product to have been deinterlaced at any point in the workflow. Conversely, if the target audience is going to view within say, a Powerpoint... then I want the proper scaling, deinterlacing, and datarate to be produced from the highest quality, native format as possible. That's where TMPGenc shines.

There are many others much more versed in the technical aspects of what I am describing. All I can testify to is that utilizing TMPGenc when deinterlacing and/or rescaling is required has offered the finest quality output I can find.
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Still....

Marty,.
I'm still curious. Have you tried anything similar to the workflow that I suggested since your original post stated that you were new to Prospect? It seems that you are adding an extra step by employing TempGEnc if you want to finish on a DVD.

Again, I don't have any experience with TmpGenc but my latest project ( a 55-minute doc) was shot in full-raster 1920x1080 HD with a CineAlta. My ultimate destination was of course, HDCam but when I took the project (shot in 60i and also injested as interlaced) from the timeline into Encore using Prospect, the image was gorgeous. It was at that point that I chose the Progressive setting. This past summer, we showed it at fest that only accepted DVD's and it looked great projected on a big 12x12 screen.

I don't mean to belabor the point but if you think TempGenc is the way to go, I'll definitely give it a try.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Jim, I'm still with Aspect...so forgive if there are points in my workflow that do not apply with Prosepct.

It does seem like the steps you took with your festival vid is the same sequence that I do. I also export my finished edit in CFHD AVI which is completely compatible for direct import into TMPGenc.

I guess the only point I was trying to bring to this discussion was the fact that I advocate the use of TMPGenc when it comes to deinterlacing or resizing. It yields a better image (in my opinion) than does any other means.

I am not sure if TMPGenc is available as a trial or demo, but that would be the best way for you to determine if it is satisfactory for your work.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Looking Into It

Marty,
On a final note, you've aroused my interest in TempGEnc. I found their website and am going to check out their product. Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Major Player

I will be very interested to get your take on it Jim... You may want to do a search of it on these forums to get much more in-depth discussion than the meager info I am able to provide.

Keep me posted.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase