Neo HDV, Pulldown and FX1- at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Neo HDV, Pulldown and FX1-

I touched on this in another thread, but I'm looking for some confirmation of what I actually get.

I have an HV20, and I bought NeoHDV to perform pulldown, and flip functions for on the fly capture. Works great !

I also have and FX1. I've recently shot some straight 60i material on it, and then captured with NeoHDV. I did not disable the pull down, and when I was finished I got a file that had 24p deinterlaced footage. In viewing the footage, it looked an awful lot like similar HV20 24p footage, exhibiting even the same slight stutter effects typical of 24p shooting.

So questions are, 1) Is Neo HDV really usable as a conversion tool for 60i to 24p footage 2) If so, are there situations where its use as outlined will create issues.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For the FX1 you need to have de-interlace filter checked to get a progressive frame, you should not have this checked for the HV20 (already progressive.) The resolution difference is the FX1 will have a little more motion blur and a little less vertical resolution than the native 24p form the HV20. Also the motion cadence from the FX1 is not quite 24p, under most senerios you willl not see this, yet it makes pans a little more strobey than the native 24p camera and hard for motion tracking effects.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Okay. Thanks. The shots I had done that with were fairly static. Kind of what I thought if a little more action was going on, that I might see more strobing.

So on HV20 I have had deinterlace box checked thinking it was right because of the "24P in 60i stream" thing. Okay, a new bit of testing for me to try now..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase