Selecting the right Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Selecting the right Cineform

I'm on the verge of getting Cineform, but find the web page a bit confusing re all the different versions

The web page recommends that you use Prospect/Aspect if you use PP. Am I right in thinking that this is only to get the Cineform engine for PP and that using (for example) NEO 2K would be compatible with basic edititing in PP?

Also, even though I don't need 2k, from another post I see that NEO 2K is what I would need to support Alpha channels for AE. Is there any reason (aside from the extra $$$!) why this wouldn't be a good choice for non 2K resolution as well?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Prospect 2K has everything, and is NEO 2K + Premeire integration and acceleration.
Both Prospect 2K and NEO 2K have alpha channel and 4:4:4 encoding support, and yes lower resolultions work also.

Using NEO 2K with Premiere requires a lot of rendering, just like using HUFFYUV (or any other codec) in a Adobe editng mode, Adobe says it has to render the clip (even when it is not needed.) Please download and experiment first. For AE work NEO 2K is perfect.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

David,

Thanks much for your quick and cogent (as always) response.

Sounds like NEO 2K will be the right choice for me - I mainly use Vegas so won't really need the PP optimizations, at least for now.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Cool. We just made the http://www.cineform.com/products/default.htm page a tad clearer by listing RGBA 4:4:4:4 on the 2K products, and a brief discription of which product is most suited for each user.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase