Cineform HDV adn Vista does not work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform HDV and Vista does not work

Whenever I hit the capture button on the software the program crashes or it goes into a state of not responding then crashes.

Any ideas as to why?

I have some footage I shot and I would like to transfer it to my hard drive so I can edit it. I just bought this program and it will not work.

My Vista is completely up to date help

Anyone?

Kev

Last edited by Kevin Saitta; October 21st, 2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It is weird, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Also when I open Sony Vegas 8 Pro is crashes the Cineform software. Really weird.

Kevin
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This appears to be a problem discussed in an earlier thread, which I had been considering bringing back out of the dead because I've been experiencing the same problem:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=97519

When David invariably responds, he'll (correctly) tell both of us to open a trouble-ticket at the Cineform site. I've been too busy recently, but I should, and will.

There appears to be some kind of conflict between firewire in Vista and HDLink. Like you, HDLink mostly crashes for me in the same way you describe. However, I've been able to get it to work on a few occassions, experimenting with the order of operation of the following:

- open HDLink
- click capture
- turn on HV20
- connect firewire cable to HV20.

In my best recollection, the times when I've successfully captured are when I do it in the following order:

- Open HDLink
- Turn on HV20
- plugging in the cable
- click capture

The key for me is that when I have the HV20 turned on and plugged in via firewire before I open HDLink, it crashes. Also, where HDLink is already open, it will crash when I turn on the HV20 when firewire is already connected (i.e. Vista hardware recognition "du du" sound is triggered by turning on the HV20).

HOWEVER, when the HV20 is already turned on, and HDLink is already open, and THEN I connect the firewire cable to my computer, these are the only times it has ever not crashed and I've been able to successfully use HDLink to capture.

(Another problem is that even where I have been able to use it as above, about half the time the HDLink user interface doesn't really work properly: when it's capturing, the "Start" button is supposed to turn into a "Stop" button, and the "Play" button above it should be greyed out. This only happens about half the time; the other half, everything stays as it was, and pressing "Start" will stop the capture).

Is there a significant number of other folks experiencing this/these problems?

Ian.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have experienced this one also now, it is one reason we are still not recommending Vista, but it is on the list to fix. We have already spent quite some time looking into it, and we will continue to look.
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Unfortunately I am stuck with Vista and really cannot move to another operating system. Is there an estimated time for a bug fix?

Another thing I found is that like mentioned above ,if you plug everything in first then turn the camera on the software works 50% of the time. It is really weird.

I just opened a trouble ticket.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Keep the tickets coming on this one. Basically no estimate as Vista is just weird. The hang is in the MS camera driver, which is Microsoft's not CineForm's, yet we acknowledge that is something we are doing, yet it is tricky to debug as it is so intermittent. The work-arounds like you have found can be a temporary solution, others have been using the tools HDVSplit, then using HDLink to convert the results, which also works.
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just sent an email to you David.

Another way a crash happens is if you click the fast forward by using the goto in Cineform, then click capture button. As soon as you do that, it crashes.

Another issue I found is that when it does work and it is at the end of the tape, it still says capturing and just hangs even though it is complete.

Should I add this to the trouble ticket?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I just replied. Yes please on the ticket.
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks David! I just appended the trouble ticket also.

Kevin
Kevin Saitta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase