Video Capture Log? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Capture Log?

I've gained many benefits from using Cineform, but one thing it seems that I've lost is the ability for exact recaptures from tapes. Previously, when I used Vegas to capture the footage, it created a log in an *.sfvidcap file, and if I just kept the veg file, I could recapture the original footage into my file if needed. It was a nice archiving system to fall back on without keeping 100's of GB of footage on hard drives. I'm not seeing that option with Neo HDV; am I missing something?
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nothing?? After 50 views... nothing?? No one has an interest in the issue of a log with Cineform?
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi James,

I see the logic behind your process, and I don't have a specific answer for you.

My solution has been to archive the CFHD AVI files, but if you were to log individual captures, doesn't that info remain in the project bin of Premiere and allow you to utilize the timecode from the reel for recapture.... or, as is typically my case.... I use the scene detection and capture a range of takes.

Either way, shouldn't you be able to keep that data as part of your Premiere project.

Again... I may be making a bad assumption since I don't recapture. I prefer the tedious (but so far very reliable) process of burning to disc, as opposed to the tedious process of tape capture and transcoding.

In the case of unarchiving a project, you would also have to pay attention to your naming protocols upon recapture. Another minor advantage of saving the actual AVI files as it prevents any confusion with clip identification.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Okay. I agree it would be nice, but I have found out how. But why not select a unique name for the tape, use that in capture, then capture using Cineform with with scene splitting activated. This should be repeatable if you have to repeat the capture.
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Aye, the workflow that's working for me is to capture entire tape with scene detect into the m2t files from the camera, then convert to cineform keeping the m2ts. I then keep the m2ts, and even if I delete or lose them, I can recapture in the same way and have a frame-exact copy.

Bing!

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Major Player

An approach I have used in the past is to save the M2T files (12GB/hr) and delete the Cineform conversions (>30GB/hr). The Cineform files can be easily regenerated in HDLink overnight, while recapturing will be a pain. With Hard Drives selling for $100 for 500GB, we just back up the entire project folders to disks at a few facility I work at.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Awesome info, guys. I apologize, I should have been more clear: I use Vegas. But I think the process should still be the same: If I capture using scene detect in Vegas, it would save the capture logs. Then if I convert to Cineform, it produces the same files as if I had captured with HDLink?

If I were to do my original capture with HDLink, and then I re-captured with HDLink, I'd be concerned that I wouldn't get a "frame-exact copy."
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post
Awesome info, guys. I apologize, I should have been more clear: I use Vegas. But I think the process should still be the same: If I capture using scene detect in Vegas, it would save the capture logs. Then if I convert to Cineform, it produces the same files as if I had captured with HDLink?

If I were to do my original capture with HDLink, and then I re-captured with HDLink, I'd be concerned that I wouldn't get a "frame-exact copy."
I've always gotten frame-exact recaptures. I just always start from the very beginning of the tape, and do so using the same software I originally captured with.

On the other coin, capturing m2t's in Vegas, then converting using HDlink, will give you the same files as if you had captured in HDLink with automatic conversion on. HDlink actually captures m2t, same as Vegas, and then applies the conversion.

So... if Vegas gives you your logs, just use the convert tab in HDlink afterwords. :) You're good to go! :)

C
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Major Player

I there a reason you would ever delete your original captures? (Barring drive failure?) Using the HDLink method requires capturing whole tapes, which should be unnecessary if you only use a small percentage of that footage. The capture in NLE, convert in HDLink will work well, but will be a bit cumbersome.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Major Player

I personally use that method as most of my projects I am using a high percentage of shot footage. I may consider mixing in the capture in premiere/transcode process for tapes I don't use much of, my current process has just worked for me so far :)

C
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The majority of work I do involves 2 camera interviews or 3 camera concerts. I capture the full tapes, sync them on the timelines, and then edit with cuts/dissolves, and then render out either specific portions from the interviews or the full concert timeline.

Then, I'm left with the Vegas file that references the full captured files. If I delete the full captured files upon project completion, if I ever need to go back and re-edit, I'll need the original full captures. The problem is that for each project, I have 400-500 GB sitting there taking up an external HD if I don't delete the original files.
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Major Player

400-500 GB is easy to backup to a firewire drive for about $150. You spend more money on the original tape media than the cost of disk storage. I use a dedicated Firewire drive to backup each project, sometimes over 1TB, and have found that to be the cheapest solution. I do frequently find myself pulling from old footage, so that is factor as well for me. Regardless, it will usually be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Just my two cents on the subject. I am interested in the other options being discussed as well, but under the heading "In the event of a drive failure..."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase