CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #421
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Tucker View Post
David, I thought about you when I read first reports on the Nvidia ION platform. A pre-cedia hands-on report included a picture of the tiny motherboard being held in the palm of a hand. I think that report said 10 watts power usage. But the AnandTech report below says 20 watts in a test sample that was running photoshop. I don't think you would need all the connectivity options that were on their test sample. Here is a link to the AnandTech report: AnandTech: NVIDIA's Ion Platform: Performance Preview Here is a link to the PC Perspective report: PC Perspective - NVIDIA ION Platform Review: Death (and Life) of the Netbook
Not really sure how this applies. I doubt even a dual core Atom would have anywhere near enough CPU power to compress into CineForm in realtime - I think even 720p at 30fps would be a miracle! What CineForm want is to do away with x86 architecture for good and have a single 'CineForm on a chip' solution in a bespoke device rather than create their own portable PC.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #422
Major Player

I saw the reference to the Ion and checked it out.
Nice platform, but nowhere near the horsepower to be doing realtime video encoding unless possibly the GPU can be used to do it.

One obvious modification the Ion platform would need is an HDMI input port.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #423
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Richard is correct, however ION still might be an interesting short-term step better where we are and where we are going. Richard, the Intel Atom is more powerful than you would think, I've encoded hard 1080p material in Filmscan 1 at 12+ fps on a single 2W Atom core -- true not fast enough damn surprising to have that performance level.
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #424
Trustee

Here's a twist that still stays true with the intent of the product: How about making essentially a laptop Intensity card? This leaves the screen, processor, OS all up to the user to supply, as most people already have laptops.

I wouldn't worry too much about the added size and weight. The current concept is very nice and compact, but I'd gladly swing a laptop over my shoulder to record HD 4:2:2. But hauling a mini desktop "capture computer" is not really practical.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #425
Major Player

I'm really not sure that the Expresscard slot has enough power to run an HD capture card, let alone one with a CineForm encoder chip on it.

I ran an Intensity from the WiFi slot on a Mac Mini with a bespoke converter harness and it still required 5v mains from elsewhere. This slot is essentially identical in spec to the Expresscard slot.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #426
Major Player

HD-SDI capture card

Actually there may be a way.Came across this on the forum the other day.If the encoding is left to the CPU as it is at the moment - a real option....

http://www.imperx.com/files/products...t.pdf?download

Seems to be made for machine vision and frame grabbing but see no reason why it may not work as it can record to AVI in the specs.Stand to be corrected of course but this seems exciting and a real option to a FlashXDR or indeed the Cineform recorder.Two grand could get a really nice portable setup with a laptop LCD for monitoring.

For those in the know - is it only 8 Bit? 24 bit RGB?
Henry Olonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #427
New Boot

Looks like 16bit in jpeg form, 20bit with a YCrCB of a 4.2.2. or in a 24bit in a RGB format. Anyone of those are quite capable of recording off of most our HDV cameras. Now all we need is to get Cineform to adapt to this piece of hardware and we are all set! Although one would need either a laptop with two sets of stripped raid array running on it, or two ExpressCard slots on their laptop. One for this card and the other for external stripped raid arrays. I don't know any laptops that have two express card slots
Adam Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #428
Major Player

Don't see a need for raid unless shooting uncompressedd. I record to my laptop hdd to Cineform as it is.That's the whole point I suppose.To get the bandwidth from 120 MB/s to about 20 MB/s or less.I use an intensity by the way.
Henry Olonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #429
Regular Crew

possible mini itx board from J&E

I keep searching for a mini-itx solution to use with Cineform and the Intensity Pro that is low powered and can do RAID in case I wanted to do some editing with CS4. I just found a board made by J&E which uses an AMD processor:
J&W Technology Limited

I also found a review of it online:
bit-tech.net | Review - J&W MINIX 780G mini-ITX HTPC mobo

I found this when searching for new products announced at Computex, although the above item was released last year. This chipset uses the ATI HD 3200.

I see that there are some new motherboards coming in the next couple months with the AMD 785G chipset which uses the ATI HD 4200 GPU and supports Direct X 10.1.

The only other board I have found so far is the ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX but it only has 2 internal SATA ports.

Has anyone used any of the Cineform products on these?
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #430
Regular Crew

How Close?

Delete Post

Last edited by Jim Long; July 18th, 2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Delete Post
Jim Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #431
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Strehl View Post
I

Has anyone used any of the Cineform products on these?
Correct me if I´´m wrong David, but as far as I know AMD and Cineform are not the best of friends.
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #432
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Brodkorb View Post
Correct me if I´´m wrong David, but as far as I know AMD and Cineform are not the best of friends.
Why? We where in the keynote at NAB (few years afo) with the CEO of AMD, they put us on the map with finishing Dust to Glory. However we will use whoever CPUs are fastest, today that is Intel.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #433
Regular Crew

I came to that conclusion because in the "requirements" section of your website I newer saw andy AMD CPUs listed.

But I´m glad to hear, that AMDs work as well David.

Wich one would you recomend for Prospect 4k?

Thanks, Frank
Frank Brodkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #434
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Brodkorb View Post
I came to that conclusion because in the "requirements" section of your website I newer saw andy AMD CPUs listed.

But I´m glad to hear, that AMDs work as well David.

Wich one would you recomend for Prospect 4k?

Thanks, Frank
Frank,

All of them work fine. If you are still selecting, choose more cores and memory speed over clock speed (which is good too.)
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #435
Major Player

CineDeck mobile recoder announced

For everybody that occassionally checks this thread hoping for an update on the CineForm mobile recorder, I want to let you know that a customer of ours - DBOX - is launching a new product called CineDeck: http://www.cinedeck.com/content/#/?type=serial.

CineDeck supports a number of input formats including HDMI, single-link or dual-link HD-SDI, all recorded to 10-bit or 12-bit CineForm files. Form factor is small at 5"x8"x3" and weighs 3 lbs before battery.

But rather than making this post too long, I recommend you check out CineDeck at the link above
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase