HDLink clip numbering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDLink clip numbering

Maybe it's just me but when I capture with scene detection using HDLink (from AspectHD) and I have base capture name of, say, XXXX, I get files as follows:
XXX.avi, XXX-001.avi, XXX-002.avi etc

I then tend to renumber them 1-3.

Any chance the file naming could start at XXX-001.avi instead of XXX.avi so that all file names follow the numbering pattern?

Or have I simply missed an option?

Alan
Alan Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
Any chance the file naming could start at XXX-001.avi instead of XXX.avi so that all file names follow the numbering pattern?
I've been requesting this feature for many months, and have submitted a feature request to tech support. In theory, Cineform is working on an enhancement, but apparently it never makes it high enough on the priority list to get released.

A related feature I want is the ability to start the sequence at a number other than 001, so that multiple captures can be easily sequenced without tedious renumbering.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes. I too can see the benefit of capturing at a number other than one. Would be very handy.

"Make it so, Number One!"
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Yes. I too can see the benefit of capturing at a number other than one. Would be very handy.
You should open a ticket with tech support. They will close the ticket and tell you they have added the suggestion as a feature request. Not sure if it will help, but a reminder every six months or so may eventually make it happen.

Best,
Christopher
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello All,
As a result of your requests, I've implemented a new feature for the next release.

Now, you will be able to tell HD Link (in the preferences window, along side the "split scenes" check box) what number you want your clips to start with when you have scene split selected. With scene split unchecked, your base capture file name will be unaltered.

With scene split checked, your first clip will contain your specified starting clip number. For instance, if you've told HD Link to start at "12", your first clip will be named "ClipName-012.avi", followed by "ClipName-013.avi", etc. instead of "ClipName.avi" followed by "ClipName-001.avi", etc.

I hope this is helpful for you all and other users. Feedback is appreciated!
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Another request would be to have it save the AVI files into a specific folder. Maybe it can do this, but I haven't figured out how.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
Another request would be to have it save the AVI files into a specific folder. Maybe it can do this, but I haven't figured out how.
It already does that. It's the "Capture Location" text field towards the top of the Preferences window. If you're converting from M2T in a second step, just check the box below it that says "Use capture location for converted files".
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin View Post
Thanks! This will save me time.

Best,
Christopher
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Now, when we are still on the subject of naming the clips I would like to make very humble request for another naming scheme: clips named according the timecode in the tape. In order to achieve the functionality today, I need first to use the HDVSplit to split and name the clips. After that I run the clips through HD Link and make the conversion.

What I'm after is to have clips named e.g.:

HDV20071210_08.27.33.avi
HDV20071210_08.31.28.avi

HDVSplit gives you the possibility to define the beginning of the name ("HDV" in the example).

Or is there some technical reason why this is not possible?
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hello All,
As a result of your requests, I've implemented a new feature for the next release.

Now, you will be able to tell HD Link (in the preferences window, along side the "split scenes" check box) what number you want your clips to start with when you have scene split selected. With scene split unchecked, your base capture file name will be unaltered.

With scene split checked, your first clip will contain your specified starting clip number. For instance, if you've told HD Link to start at "12", your first clip will be named "ClipName-012.avi", followed by "ClipName-013.avi", etc. instead of "ClipName.avi" followed by "ClipName-001.avi", etc.

Thanks Tim,

For me, that will be a complete and full solution. :)

I just hope I can use this new version. Having troubles with latest builds (crashing on opening old/template projects - trouble ticket filed) and having to stick with Aspect 5.1 right now :(
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Tim,

For me, that will be a complete and full solution. :)

I just hope I can use this new version. Having troubles with latest builds (crashing on opening old/template projects - trouble ticket filed) and having to stick with Aspect 5.1 right now :(
Hi Alan,

Hopefully the next build won't cause Premiere problems. However, if it does, just copy the HD Link.exe file out of C:\Program Files\CineForm before you uninstall the new version. Then, when you revert to 5.1, copy that HD Link.exe back into the folder and overwrite the one installed with 5.1.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Remonen View Post
Now, when we are still on the subject of naming the clips I would like to make very humble request for another naming scheme: clips named according the timecode in the tape. In order to achieve the functionality today, I need first to use the HDVSplit to split and name the clips. After that I run the clips through HD Link and make the conversion.

What I'm after is to have clips named e.g.:

HDV20071210_08.27.33.avi
HDV20071210_08.31.28.avi

HDVSplit gives you the possibility to define the beginning of the name ("HDV" in the example).

Or is there some technical reason why this is not possible?
Timecode in HD Link-captured files is a frequently requested feature, but is quite a bit more involved than what I've done in this case. HD Link is due for a complete makeover and overhaul, and timecode will likely make its way into the software at that time. ETA for that is unknown at the moment, however.

As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution. I'm finishing up XDCAM EX support at the moment, but when I'm done, I'll give this a look and see if it's something that's reasonably simple to implement.
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution.
Wow, that would be a great interim solution! Thanks for listening.

Best,
Christopher
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #14
Regular Crew

One further thought here...

Would there be any mileage in building in the idea of 'Tape Number' as well?

I know we could incorporate the tape number into the clip name but....
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution.
This would be greatly appreciated since it would save me from otherwise unnecessary phase in the workflow.

Most of the people probably do not need this feature since they shoot professionally and keep track on the takes they shoot. Therefor the take# is more appropriate solution for them.

But I shoot just for fun (and for homevideos), and therefore the time of the shooting makes difference. Same thing probably with e.g. wedding videographers: actual time of the shoot tells more than just the number of the take when trying to locate the correct clip.
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase