Cineform Conversion from 60i t0 24p when? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform Conversion from 60i t0 24p when?

I have a question for people doing this before with cineform codec. On my recent wedding project I used hdv 24f from canon A1.Normally I'm shooting 30f on all my previous weddings. I used cineform and premier pro CS3 to do my editing following all the directions for capturing provided by Cineform people. I was not happy with the 24f quality with pans and slow motions as people are already noticed. On my next wedding I was thinking in using the 60i camera mode and capturing everything on 60i cineform project in Cs3. After doing in all my editing, slow motions effect..... I'm wondering if I can export everything as a regular 60i cineform (not deinterlaced)file and then use HDlink to pull dow-Deinterlace and convert that final avi file to 24p.

Is this is a good method to get the best quality in shooting, post and get the 24p look at the same time for your final product? It is really worth to create a workflow like this? Does HDlink would like to convert files already captured and edited with the same results than the normal work flow.

Of course I am very happy with the work flow that I use with cineform and the quality of 3-2 pull down.
I would like to hear from you guys if Im in the right track with this workflow of any additional recomentadions.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Pulldown works best if the underlying source video is 24 frame. The pulldown removal is designed to make footage that was shot 24 progressive and stored 30 interlaced look correct. If you apply the pulldown removal to footage that is truely 30i, don't expect great results. At the very least, test it first. This is nothing specific to Cineform's software, just the way pulldown works in general.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you use pulldown on regularly 60i material you actually get 48i, which is not a popular format. :) If you deinterlace 48i, you get 24p. So stacking pulldown and deinterlace filter operations will convert 60i to 24p, however is not a motion compensation conversion so you need to test to see if you like the results (for is fast conversion is it quite nice.)
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks guys.

Well David
seems that at the end I will end up with the same quality on motion eitherway?
I will be doing some testing during this week.

Thanks
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

With 24p, you can't move the camera fast. No getting around that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase