CineForm w/ TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 13th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Trustee

CineForm w/ TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0?

I have TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 and it has an option to use CineForm, but when I choose it says no available license (which makes sense since I don't have CineForm). If I purchase NeoHD, will I be able to use CineForm with all its various quality settings in TMPGEnc?

Thanks as ALWAYS.

P.S. Can CineForm be installed on more than one PC, i.e. an editing pc and a more portable one for in the field HDMI capturing?

Last edited by Peter Moretti; February 13th, 2008 at 05:10 AM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I haven't used TMPGEnc to encode to CineForm, I'm not sure what the advantage is in doing that. I'm sure sure what controls it offers. If it using the Video for Windows codec, then very likely you will get all the controls.

Most I our software supports a workstation and a laptop install automatically (two activations supported by the license server.) If it doesn't, we do it upon request.
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Trustee

David, one advantage for me is that it can transcode in and out of DNxHD. I have Vegas but I mostly use Avid.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Major Player

David, a new TMPGEnc 4 update is out that apparently has conflicts with CF. Even after re-registering CF, the TMPGEnc will not recognize a CF video and crashes out.

I'll try again later when I can, and see if it's just a TMPGEnc prob. Haven't even tried regular AVI's...since we hardly use them.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Major Player

large CF AVI's re-wrapped as MOV's and FLV's made with CF work fine. Large CF'ed AVI's don't work with it.

Newest TMPGEnc 4.0 version update is 4.4.2.238
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The one this it does is use all 8 cores effectively

When I take a cineform avi and put it in this program and outout to HDV or Mpeg it does it in less than a quarter of the time of any other program that I use.
It also does a great job of transforming 60i CFHD to 24P. As good or even better than Red Giant Frames which I just tested.
I highly recomend this program for anyones tool set.

Even when I need a quick Blu-ray I use it to transform CFHD to HDVand into Nero for a quick burn and test.
\Blows a way Scenarist and encore for time. Not Quality but a great daily output set up
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You should be using HDLink or the CineForm Premiere capture to remove pulldown BEFORE your edit. Removing pulldown later never as good (technical not possible to fully remove pulldown from an edited sequence.) Also the CineForm M2T from Premiere is using a license of the TMPGEnc MPEG encoder. Just a couple of pointers.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Stephen
Is not matter of the tMPGENC Exp version. I been testing old TMPG versions and avi files don't want to work either. I know some users are having old PhD build around the 145buils working perfect in new TMPGNC versions.

I hope that cineform don't forget about this issue cause I'm not a big fan of the quality of mov file on cineform.

I would like to get access to old builds since I was Aspect HD user at that time.
I sent a ticket while ago but seems that they still not finding the issue.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
large CF AVI's re-wrapped as MOV's and FLV's made with CF work fine. Large CF'ed AVI's don't work with it.

Newest TMPGEnc 4.0 version update is 4.4.2.238
I tried using small CF'ed AVI's and they also crashed the program. When I rewrapped the exact same file as a MOV, it loaded and processed very nicely. It even recognizes and uses .flv's that were output as full size CF AVI's, then rewrapped as MOV's and converted with Flash Encoder CS3.

Seems quite definite that it's a TMPGEnc version 4.4.2.238 problem with CF AVI's. We never saw this before updating to the new TMPGEnc version and converted many times from any size of CF AVI's before this new version. I would imagine it's something as simple as TMPGEnc reading correctly the CF composed AVI headers...or was something new added David, that only TMPGEnc seems to have probs with? Seems the AVI>MOV rewrap should make it easy to hunt down?

If I get a chance, I'll try to roll back the update and see what happens.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Major Player

try an older TMPGNC version and let me know the results please!

For me is not working.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
try an older TMPGNC version and let me know the results please!

For me is not working.
Jose, have you tried the AVI>MOV rewrap trick? If so, and it doesn't work, just try downsizing a bit, then re-try the MOV.

I'm just made a DVD from a 1920x1080p CF AVI, rewrapped as a MOV, then downscaled and mpg'ed in TMPGEnc and burned in Encore. It works, believe me. I did it that way because TMPGEnc is very fast.

CF AVI's still don't work with TMPGEnc, but I'm going to try the newest beta CF build right now and see if anything's changed with that.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
...CF AVI's still don't work with TMPGEnc, but I'm going to try the newest beta CF build right now and see if anything's changed with that.
Just did that and no change. The prob is with TMPGEnc's reading of the AVI headers I think.

MOV rewraps still work fine.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Stephen
But I found that trick of converting to mov file in HD link since the begining of this issue. In fact that is the same work flow that I'm using to finish my dvd in encore. But I dont like the quality of the CF mov file vs. the CF avi.
For my dvd work flow the mov is fine cause we are compresing anyway. But ussually I remove noise with tMPGENC of all my CF HD files. Now with the mov files Im loosing some quality in my opinion.

This second method is to finish my blue-ray projects
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
Thanks Stephen
But I found that trick of converting to mov file in HD link since the begining of this issue. In fact that is the same work flow that I'm using to finish my dvd in encore. But I dont like the quality of the CF mov file vs. the CF avi.
For my dvd work flow the mov is fine cause we are compresing anyway. But ussually I remove noise with tMPGENC of all my CF HD files. Now with the mov files Im loosing some quality in my opinion.

This second method is to finish my blue-ray projects
Now that seems really odd! Especially since the underlying compression in the MOV is EXACTLY the same! AVI and MOV are just wrappers/packaging. So it makes me wonder what else is going on.

What kind of "noise" are you seeing in your CF HD files and how does TMPGEnc "remove" it?
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #15
Major Player

No
What I was saying....
My two main reasons to use tMPGENC is to remove the minimum noise from the original exported footage created by my Canon A1 on low light situations. The second is to compress Hd to a DVD and keeping an awesome quality. Is part of my work flow adopted for my final projects.
I have understood by the cineform people recommend their CF avi files over that mov file for PC users and can see why. I hate to add an extra step to my work flow and add some quality lost to my exported file since we are converting the file again.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase