720p & 1080i on same timeline with Aspect HD - What happens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1
New Boot

720p & 1080i on same timeline with Aspect HD - What happens?

I've just finished editing my video in PPCS3 and have succesfully exported to DVD after a lot of trial and error. Even after this, the whole interlacing thing is confusing me. I understand the difference between progressive scan and interlacing but I'm not sure how software such as PPCS3, CF, VirtualDub, Encore etc deal with having both in the same timeline or avi file.

My camera is a Canon HV20 and the majority of the footage was shot in 720p with a Sony Z1 (I think that's right). I batch captured these tapes with my HV20 into a 1080 50i CF project (I'm in PAL land btw). Editing was fine and the picture looked great on my PC. Later on during the edit I decided to shoot some more footage with the HV20 which I then added to the project.

I then tried the following: All ok on newer TVs btw. results were on an older set

- Export resized CF avi for DVD (Upper field first) and burned using Encore

Got a Jittery DVD in places and horizontal lines on the 1080i footage and some horizontal lines on the 720p as well

- Exported CFHD avi and resized in VirtualDub - burned in Encore

Pretty much the same as above

- Export resized CF avi for DVD (Upper field first), re-wrapped to a .mov using HDLink, encoded to mpeg with TMPGenc 4 and burned DVD with TMPGenc DVD author

Got a clear sharp DVD with no noticeable artefacts.

I didn't specify de-interlacing in any of the above. I did notice on the good DVD the 1080 shots were much sharper and clearer on the TV but the same on the PC. Can anyone explain this to me in simple noobie terms?

I also want to know what happened exactly, how did I get rid of the lines? Is it just that Encore (AME?) is not up the job job of encoding to mpeg? Did PPCS3 upscale the 720p to 1080i? Is the final version progressive or interlaced? Or if still both how do I standardise to one or the other?

Also although on the DVD the 1080 footage was clearer (almost looked HD) the 720p footage had a better 'look' (it's a music video). Going forward if I wanted to acheive this look in future with the HV20 should I be using the 24p mode?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to get clear answers searching the forum
Declan Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As the Z1 doesn't do 720p, your post is bit confusing. Are you say you short 50i on the HV20 and maybe 25F (CineFrame mode) on the Z1?
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
New Boot

I will need to find out exactly which camera was being used then before this goes any further.
Declan Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase