Best workflow from Cineform to Encore DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best workflow from Cineform to Encore DVD

What generally gives the best quality finsihed product going from ProspectHD to a DVD encoding in Encore? which settings do people use....

thanks
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Just export the file as a 720x480 CFHD and bring it directly into Encore.

Works great.

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree with Michael. I have tried quite a few workflows to get from CFHD 1080i to DVD. My distinct impression is that Cineform Export does the best job of downsizing and reversing field order for CFHD 1080i to CFDV 480i or 480p. I have also found that I get better looking DVD images using a third party encoder (I like Procoder) for the transcode, rather than the Adobe Main Concept encoder.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Major Player

TMPGnc does a great job too and is very fast for renders.

Output the big AVI's if you save them as "master's", then into TMPGnc. It's very fast with square pixel downscales of CF'd material and the mpg's look very nice indeed. Same is true with going to flv from CF.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This might help also...

http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/s...asp?deptID=614

Look under Timeline export and media creation, then How do I create DVD
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use sort of a modified version of what's on that page with great results. Even with my new zoomy PC (detailed in other threads around here) I'm having stability issues with Premiere. It seems to me that there are three distinct stages your project goes through before burning: rendering, transcoding and downscaling. While you can do all three in one step if you wish, I find Premiere works better and more reliably, with great quality, if you break it into three steps and don't really involve Adobe in the process at all.

I don't use Encore much; I prefer Nero because it's simpler and easier to use, for me. I know that's probably laughably amateurish, but I get great, near HDV results on standard DVD.

So here's what I do:

Render Premiere timeline to Cineform CFHD-AVI, "recompress" box UNchecked
Transcode CFHD-AVI in Premiere to Cineform m2t, "recompress" box UNchecked
Import m2t into Nero and downscale, burn

Note that Nero can't handle the CFHD-AVI directly; no matter how you set it, it wants to squeeze your 16:9 into anamorphic 4:3 with pillar boxes, hence the second step above. It works fine with Cineform m2t.

This workflow is great with Nero 7; I tried it with 8 and it wouldn't burn, but I think I may have screwed up the install or something. I'll try again and post results if different.

It takes a little more time breaking it into three steps but I get fewer crashes and better results.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase