Prospect 2k (4k) with JVC HD250 HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Prospect 2k (4k) with JVC HD250 HDV?

I've been pondering the advantages, if any, to purchasing Prospect 2K ever since the announcement that they will be upgrading all 2k users to 4k in June for free. You see, for at least the next 2 years I'll continue shooting with my JVC HD250 (love it!), shooting to tape at 720 24p (until Cineform finishes an HD-SDI capture device at an affordable price). I've used Apsect for the last year or so which has worked flawlessly. So the question is:

Will Prospect 2k (4k) benefit me in any real capacity over these two years?

I already know that Prospect HD would be a better fit with my current workflow. It would allow me to use the HD-SDI on the HD250, preview the time line via HD-SDI, 10bit for better composition...

But the idea of a free upgrade to 4k is pretty appealing. What about 2 years from now when the two projects I have slated are over and I'm ready to upgrade my rig to something new? Yeah, Cineform will still be around and I could see what's new then, but for a small $500 difference I could have 4k now!

Dilemmas, dilemmas... Anyone have an opinion?
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, I was hoping for some wise words to make my decision easier, but without that and after some more thought I've decided to pass on the 2k (4k) and go with Prospect HD.

After some more reading I figure the 2k (4k) would be advantages if I were doing heavy compositing and color manipulation or green screen work. That isn't in my plans for these two years, so I'll hold off and see what the future brings. PHD will more than satisfy my current needs.

Maybe I'll take the extra $500 I would have spent and get another HMI from Alzo.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delay in response. I think you're wise to stick with PHD given your workflow needs as you described them because PHD should meet your needs today. Historically we've been good at allowing you to upgrade to the next product above with full credit for your previous purchase. I'd keep the $500 in your wallet and purchase something else as you suggest....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just found this thread now... too late but nonetheless.

I just purchased Prospect 2K and I felt the upgrade was worth it, okay I do plan on shooting with the Red in August so I am looking forward to a RAW workflow and need P4K.

As David says you can always upgrade later...
Christopher Grant Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. Aspect is the best money I've ever spent on a post production tool. I can only imagine how excellent it will be when Cineform becomes a more widely available capture format.

Time to upgrade to Prospect!

Thanks again,
Chad
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase