Apparent Resolution Recovery??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Apparent Resolution Recovery???

Here is a bit of a weird offbase question.

I have some footage aquired from a JVC GY-HD250 shot at 720 50P in an errant attempt at achieving slowmotion.

I have since discovered that true HDV resolution slow-mo is only achievable to tape or DR-100 by aquiring at 30P (NTSC) and bringing into a PAL project at 25P or a 24P project.

The 720 50P option was mistakenly interpreted by me as being recordable to a HDV tape and DR-100, however common sense determines that for 50P to go down on the tape, something has to give, and that seems to be resolution.

Now if I want to recover some apparent resolution at normal frame rates, is there any trickery I can attempt in Prospect 4K in a Filmscan resolution setting to blend 50P at lower resolution to 25P and achieve an apparent not actual higher resolution at the lower frame rate? I use Premiere Pro 2. I could have access to After Effects as part of the CS3 suite to work in with Prospect 4K if I wanted.

I have done something vaguely similar in the past by stacking layers, each one frame delayed relative to another, each of partial transparency, to reduce noisy images. Apparent contrast is reduced, noise is reduced and apparent sharpness is improved but at cost of smearing of movement, more so if four or more frames are staggered.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The footage to be recovered was originally intended to be slow-mo but a normal playback speed recovery of these images in a closer to apparent HDV resolution would be beneficial to this project.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 29th, 2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I don't understand the post. The GY-HD250 can shoot 50p/60p at full resolution, and therefore is great for slow motion. It is more compressed than the 25/30p, as they both use 19Mb/s data rate, but resolution is not impacted.
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hello again David.

Thanks for your prompt response.

It is a confusing issue for me, knowing only just enough about the HD250 to be a danger to myself. The problem which has emerged is that the images after capture are presenting a lower resolution described as blocking artifacts.

This has nothing to do with Prospect4K by the way. It has not been used in the project which has been captured and assembled in plain old Premiere CS3. USB drives are also involved so there are plenty of places an intense piece of footage might be corrupted.

I hope to get hold of some of the captures to play around with myself in Prospect4K.

My post was here because I intended to see if anyone else had been able to "improve" the look of a 50P stream which was compromised by blocking. I thought that the highest resolutions are available by the Prospect4K route if they are to be had at all and that this was where the knowledge would be found if someone else has done some experimenting.

I also hope to get hold of the DR-100 to see if I can re-capture via HDLink and see if that gets around the problem.

Any suggestions will remain greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 29th, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase