Saving to other drives: a Premiere prob or CF? Any solutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Saving to other drives: a Premiere prob or CF? Any solutions?

We have two workstations (soon to be three), both with full CS3 Production Premium. We use local RAIDS only for previews and NAS drives for all projects and resources.

We are getting error messages when accessing any project on another computer or non-local drive, then trying to save it back to that computer again. This is extremely inconvenient in our workflow, as we do multiple projects and need to check and make corrections to other projects, so need them centralized.

A local drive solution is not really an option for us. It appears to be a very unprofessional Premiere prob (sound familiar?), but could having the CF Prospect 4K plugin somehow affect?

Has anyone heard of a solution for this (beyond changing editor software, or doing multiple "save-as" copies)?
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've pretty well standardised on removable drives to solve the cross machine problem - streaming video, let alone off-line file sharing is just too slow on my network. (Unless, I'm told you invest in a mega network, which I haven't got)
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I've pretty well standardised on removable drives to solve the cross machine problem - streaming video, let alone off-line file sharing is just too slow on my network. (Unless, I'm told you invest in a mega network, which I haven't got)
Paul, I'm not even talking about the need for speed. I'm talking about just PP3 "project" files, with all the previews on local RAIDs. We can't even save a lousy PROJECT file twice to the same location!

Version Cue is no help, as it doesn't work with AE or Premiere...

Is Adobe so afraid we'll somehow use their "Production Suites" for actual production workflow, that they cripple them for use in p2p network environments? Good grief.
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
...Version Cue is no help, as it doesn't work with AE or Premiere...
I'm wrong. You can pay a premium and upgrade to the MASTER COLLECTION 3.3, then you get Verson Cue that DOES work with AE and Premiere. So then we pay for even more software we dont' need.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

this is still an issue in cs4 for me :(

i've invested in a 8TB raid5 system and a high end network setup and now i find myself unable to use it as premiere cs4 won't allow saving your project file on a network drive. i am really pissed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase