DV with Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV with Cineform

Folks.

Is there anyone out there converting their standard DV footage via HDLINK to CineForm and editing that way ...

I ask because, I have to splice together some video from one camera ACVHD with footage from a Pana GS300 DV and was thinking that If i convert both to CineForm, this may be easier.

Also, I 'm curious if there are any possible quality or workflow gains from doing a full convert/edit/export(DVD) of DV footage using Cineform ? Also, What preset would you use

regards

Justin
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Trustee

I was wondering about the same thing thing the other day. I will, for the first time in ages, need to edit an SD program from DV tape in a few weeks.
My thought was that importing the DV as 720x480 10 bit 4:2:2 Prospect avi would give me more digital headroom for editing, compressing to DVD, etc., but I have no idea if that is really true or not. Would I be just as well off to do it as a straight DV project, or better to use Prospect HD?
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
New Boot

This is exactly what I've been experimenting with. I have a long form DV film and was extremely disappointed with how the graphics came through (created with Illustrator). So, I converted all the shots of the project to 10 bit (with HDLink), created a Cineform Prospect 10 bit project, then imported the old project and newly converted shots.

Does it work? Yes and no. The bit that I cannot get past is same old problem of yore for all of you, monitoring. This seems especially difficult when wanting to color correct with Color Finesse. BUT, the graphics look much, much better. That 10 bit timeline really allows them to show.

So, for me, it looks like I will finish the project in plain vanilla Ppro, color correct in Color Finesse, then make a new Cineform timeline and import ONLY graphic sequences, then output those to AVI's, import them back into my project and then finish.

So, I guess, the quick answer is; it depends. I would guess you'll never lose quality, but that you will gain in certain situations.
Stephen Timpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase