Cineform help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform help please

Good day everyone, I am a little confused over the whole cineform thing and I wonder if someone could help me out, I downloaded the trial version of neo to try it out after so many people are using it , and I wanted to see what it was all about.
Maybe I am doing something completly wrong here I dont know, but something doesnt seem right. I have attached a couple of screen shots of the settings and output files sizes.

I am using a Canon XH-A1 and when I capture straight into vegas and use the M2T files things seem to work great and windows media player plays them flawlessly and with great clarity, When I capture through cineform the AVI file triples in size and looks awfull, please let me know if I am not doing something right.

Thanks

Paul Cox
Attached Thumbnails
Cineform help please-screenshot003.jpg   Cineform help please-screenshot002.jpg  

Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You want to triple in size (at least), remember HDV is compressed to an inch of it usable life. Making an intermediate file that maintains your quality throught you workflow is the point of having a larger less compressed file. The "looks awfull" means you are doing something wrong, as CineForm is used in the highest-end productions and film archives. Why have you selected "De-interlace"?
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I will try agin and leave the deinterlace switch of, Thanks for the response David. I chose deinterlace because that was one of the settings someone used in one of these posts and his clip looked really good,
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Without an processing the image will look the same (the visually lossless claim.) You can de-interlace if you want to convert 60i to 30p or 24p (with pulldown removal,) but that Canon can shoot 24p natively, so you don't ever need to deinterlace or remove pulldown.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase