Interlace Hell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Interlace Hell

Hello~

I've searched the forum for an answer but no luck. I need help!

Imported HDV clips from Sony HDR-HD3, .m2t files. In WMP, these play jaggy (interlaced) on both my LCD and CRT. But in Premiere they look fine on both monitors.

Wanting to improve HDV workflow, purchased ASPECT HD 5.3.1, and transcoded one of the .m2t files in multiple .avi formats.

If I choose DEINTERLACE option (which I thought would make sense) the file plays like it was double-exposed (but not jaggy) in WMP and Premiere, on both monitors.

If I choose NO DEINTERLACE, In WMP the file plays JAGGY on LCD, but perfect on CRT. In Premiere the same file is "double" on either monitor. (!??)

Happens if I choose preset CINEFORM HDV 1080i or 1080p.

SO, my question is, how do I get a non-double CINEFORM file to play in Premiere?
THANKS for your help! (would screen shots help??)
Ron Labbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you want to deinterlace, don't shoot with a shutter faster than 1/60th of a second -- that is causing the double image. If you deinterlace using only one field, the double image goes away, but then you only have an SD-like resolution. Interlace is a pain, avoid it in camera if you can. In Aspect HD the preview is showing the double image for the same shooting reasons, however it is only in the preview mode. You can control that in the preview setting, disabling preview playback and the fast scrubbing mode gets your the interlace image -- exports are always full quality, not impacted by the preview settings.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, the preview options are a good start...

We didn't change shutter speed settings as far as I know, I will have to check on that. When I've dealt with deinterlacing in the past, I've had a choice of doubling every other line or merging. Merging gives the double-exposure error, but I don't see an option for throwing out half the lines...?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We don't offer a deinterlacer choice, as you can do the second style in Premiere. Merging (while we do more than that) only gives double exposure issues if the field rate and shutter speed don't match. Lock your camera to 1/60th.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

David...

I appreciate your help on this, it's just a bit confusing. For example-

An interlaced Cineform AVI plays "double" in Premiere no matter how I configure playback when in CINEFORM editing mode. But if I bring the same file into Premiere in native 1080i editing mode, the file looks fine in the source monitor, but double in the program monitor.
(note: this file plays fine in WMP on a CRT, but jaggy on an LCD)

I'm quite sure we shot the original footage in default mode, which should have been 60fps.
So, I'm still baffled... thanks in advance!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Display Preview Playback is the option your want for interlaced playback. In any case none of this impacts the export quality. It about how to deal with interlace data on a progressive display (your computer monitor.)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Perhaps I'm not in the right place... In the Cineform Display Control I see the option to check "Disable preview mode playback". Is that it? (Either way I get the same result.) If not, where?

I'm playing this on a CRT, which is an interlaced display, so I'm at a loss as to why it would be doubled in Premiere with the Cineform edit mode... (again, it plays perfectly fine in Windows Media Player).
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This is why interlaced should be outlawed. Likely your video card is weaving instead of bobbing. With "Disable preview mode playback" checked, we send the frame (fields not merged) to the video card.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

OK, interlace should be outlawed, but currently it's still legal. And we purchased ASPECT HD as it was purported to be the best solution for editing HDV on Premiere. But .m2t files look perfectly fine when scrubbed in the timeline, it's only the CINEFORM files that are doubled. So I don't see how it can be a problem with the video card? Are we going to be able to make Cineform work for us, or no?

thanks
Ron Labbe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase