Viewing timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Viewing timecode

Hi all,

I would like to view the timecode from the original footage (while editing). It was a multi-cam shoot that was brought in from HVX 200's, converted to AVI using HD Link. Everything converted fine and was brought into PPro and using the correct Aspect HD project settigns fine but....

The filters that I've used within PPro 2.0 (Video Timecode & Matrox Time Code) simply generate new Timecode from the timeline. I'm not seeing anyting offered in the CineForm folders. I'm used to Final Cut Pro in the way that you can simply grab the filter throw it on the footage and seeing the original TC source from the raw footage. Am I not able to do that within this workflow? I can't seem to get an answer from the Premiere forum.

Thanks,
-Dustin
Dustin Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The Timecode filter in PPRo can be set to show programme timecode (default) or source timecode. Or both. But that might be new in PPro 3. I skipped PPro 2
Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #4
New Boot

Ian,

How did you program your timecode filter?
Thanks,
-Dustin
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

In PPRO CS3, drag the timecode filter onto a clip. Select the filter in effects controls. You have a number of options, including selecting "clip" or "media" for the displayed burnt-in timecode. "Clip" is the timeline timecode. "Media" is the original camera/tape timecode - provided you have captured the video with timecode, or assigned timecode to the clip, of course.

If you have (for example) captured a tape but for some reason there is no original timecode in the file, you can tell PPro what the timecode should be, and it will use that from then on. Load the clip in the source window, move to a frame for which you know the timecode (for example the first frame of picture after bars) make sure the ckip is still seelctd in the project window and choose file/timecode form the main menu. You can then assign the timecode of your choice to the current fram or the beginning of the file. This does work. I've done it a lot (though I don't need it so much now with Cineform's online workflow...)

Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase