Canon 5D MKII & Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon 5D MKII & Cineform

Canon just announced their new Canon 5D DSLR, which is capable of shooting video:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies: Digital Photography Review

My question is, the 5D shoots 1080p, with an apparent (from the specs that have been published so far) frame rate of 30 fps, not 29.97 fps. The files are MOV (Quicktime 1080p H.264; 38.6 Mbits/sec). Assuming the frame rate is really 30 fps, will NEO HD and HDLink be able to convert these files to a Cineform AVI with a frame rate of 29.97 fps without creating some messy resampling artifacts?

I know at this point, the question is somewhat hypothetical, since few people have a new 5D MKII in hand to test. On the surface, this DSLR looks like everything that the Nikon D90 was supposed to be.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

To convert 30.0fps to 29.97p using the Rate Change (24.0 to 23.976), it produces the same -0.1% slow down required.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Jay, we'll have to see how Canon does with rolling shutter problems. But this is a sequence somebody captured and posted with the D90 which was recently announced: http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC_0012.flv
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, That's pretty clever (EDIT: The frame rate idea). I saw a bunch of those "rolling shutter" bad examples posted for the Nikon D90. That scared me off. The D90 is a lot less expensive than the Canon D5 MKII, so it's audience may be different. None of the sample D5 videos that have been posted online so far seem to show rolling shutter problems. I'm sure if they are reproducible, someone will find them.

Last edited by Jay Bloomfield; September 18th, 2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: unclear grammatically
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Major Player

I bumped this thread, because some people are now saying that even though the frame rate for 5D2 MOV files is reported by QT as 30.00 fps, it is actually 29.97 fps and the information in the MOV header is wrong.

Yes? No?
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Neo Scene 1.1 converts Canon 5D Mk-II at 29.97fps, so it is not an issue for CineForm users. We will be rolling these changes in NEO and Prospect HD/4K.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Major Player

So transcoded 5D2 footage will be slightly slower after cineform? How does this affect audio sync?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
So transcoded 5D2 footage will be slightly slower after cineform? How does this affect audio sync?
If the 5D2 MOV files are really 29.97 fps (30p NTSC), which a lot of people believe them to be, then NEO Scene will not do any rate conversion to them at all.

As an aside, I finally managed to duplicate what was documented by someone else, in the link I posted previously. The link details how someone shot with both the 5D2 and another NTSC 30p camcorder and when he tried to sync them properly, he discovered that the 5D2 files were really not an even 30.00 fps. By using Cinema Tools, he altered the metadata in the 5D2 MOV file, so that the frame rate was read by software as 29.97 fps. Then the two sources were synchronized perfectly.

Unfortunately, working on a PC, I had to use a hex editor to manually change the atoms in the MOV file metadata, but I did get QT Player & several NLEs to think that the MOV file was 29.97 fps.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase