Canon EOS 5D MK2 video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Major Player

Chris, unfortunately converting frame rates from 30 fps to 25 fps is about the hardest conversion you can do. CineForm software doesn't offer this in one step.

If you really want to experiment with this however, you can do two steps: 1) Use CineForm's Neo HD to convert from 30 fps to 24fps. 2) Use the Speed Change parameter to convert from 24fps to 25fps.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Can one of the Davids from Cineform weigh in on my earlier question? NeoHD demo is converting all my Canon 5D Mk II clips upside down and mirrored. I can overcome the upside down part easily enough by flicking a switch on the media properites tab in Vegas, but the image is still reversed left to right. I would obviously prefer the footage to be rendered correctly.

This is only a problem when converting files from HD link. Renders from the Vegas timeline maintain the proper orientation (although I haven't yet found the right combination of options to overcome the crushed blacks and whites when rendering out of Vegas as opposed to HD Link.) I'm on Windows XP Pro SP 2, Vegas Pro 8(c).

Also, I've long thought I would purchase a Cineform product as I am a RED customer (actually a future RED customer since I decided to wait on Scarlet rather than complete my RED One purchase last October.) If I plan to edit in Vegas and never plan to edit or finish above HD resolution with RED footage, is there any reason to go beyond NeoHD in your product line?
Elizabeth Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The flip image is a fault of another component in your system, it is not HDLink as it only converts the data is it is received by your systems decoders, a few posts ago a user even suggested the fix for you (read back on this thread.)

You could start with NEO HD and upgrade to NEO 4K for your Red workflow as needed, as the 4K product lines handles more than just extra resolution. NEO and Prospect 4K add RAW, 4:4:4 and 4:4:4:4 support, whereas the HD line is YUV 4:2:2 only.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi David. Thanks for the reply.

I was not ignoring the other gentleman's suggestion. It's just that after visiting that page, I don't see how it would help me, and I have a negative visceral reaction to installing MORE software on my system to combat a problem without fully understanding why it's necessary to do so.

If some codec in my system is reversing data, why don't I see the effects of that in any other media player or media-handling software on my system? When I load native Canon files into Vegas or play them in Quicktime or load them in Boris RED, the files are played in proper orientation. When I render from Vegas timeline to Cineform, the resultant files are correct. The only time I've ever seen this problem in over two years is with these Canon files converted via HD Link.

Just for comparison, I'm going to render some files via HD Link that originated from another source and see what happens. Will report back later.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I happen to know the user's advice is correct, there are smart users on this forum, you should give a try for making other experiments. The information you don't have is the fault is with a DirectShow demux on your system, Vegas, Boris, etc., aren't using DirectShow therefore aren't showing the issue. One the reasons HDLink is so fast and preserves the full dynamic range is the way it uses DirectShow, instead of Video for Windows or QuickTime media layers, which can truncate dynamic range, mangle color space or gamma. HDLink is handling the data correctly, your current installed DirectShow MOV demux/decoder pairing is sending the image data upsidedown. In the next major release v4 of all our HD/4K products we make Canon 5D support more explicit, currently it just happens to work with a Haali Media Splitter with comes with the CoreAVC which we recommend for 5D and other AVC compressed sources.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Update:

I visited the link that David Moody kindly provided in post 14. I clicked on the "Matroska Splitter" link in the upper right of the page, since I saw no download link for a "Haali Splitter".

After installation, I tried converting a Canon file again from HD Link, and again I got the upside down, mirrored image result.

Earlier, I did use HD Link to convert an SD DV clip shot on a Sony DSR-300 to a 1920 x 1080P Cineform avi. This worked fine. I also tried rendering a 1920 x 1080 motion graphics composition out of Boris RED using the Cineform codec and got a very strange result. The file had the right resolution but everything in it appeared to have been violently stretched in the vertical direction (the comp was basically just a caustics filter for a texture background).

Any ideas? FYI, I didn't remove any file associated with the (complimentary but outdated) Cineform codec included with Vegas Pro 8 before installing NeoHD. I forgot but wouldn't have known how to do it anyway.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have tested the CoreAVC and Haali combination to work well, if you want to use different components you may not get the same resuts. The other thing could try is registering the mp4splitter.ax located within C:\program files\CineForm\NEO HD\. Use regsvr32.exe. There is a component on your PC doing this flip, and you will either have to work out what it is, or wait for NEO HD which will do its best to ignore whatever extra you have installed. When support returns on Monday, their starting point will be to have you install CoreAVC and then maybe register mp4splitter.ax. So give that a try.
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #23
Regular Crew

neo HD attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Chris, unfortunately converting frame rates from 30 fps to 25 fps is about the hardest conversion you can do. CineForm software doesn't offer this in one step.

If you really want to experiment with this however, you can do two steps: 1) Use CineForm's Neo HD to convert from 30 fps to 24fps. 2) Use the Speed Change parameter to convert from 24fps to 25fps.
David,

I'm sure glad that Neo HD has a trial period because about now I would be pretty upset if I had paid for it (are you from Cineform?). I downloaded it, then tried to run Remaster. I tried to drag the file into the main window but it didn't like that. I then selected 'file'-'open' and it didn't like that either. It finally recognised the MOV file from my Canon SX1 IS, after me randomly trying a combination of buttons I now don't remember, but there the story ends. The file was in the window but there was nil functionality in 'parameters'.
I know you say that 'output' is the only function available at the moment but that wasn't there either. It was not even clear to me on downloading the mac version as to whether this came with the upgraded functions I needed anyway i.e. convert 30 -24fps and speedchange.

Thanks for your suggestion, but it looks like I need to look elsewhere.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
We have tested the CoreAVC and Haali combination to work well,
Not really knowing what MP4Splitter was, I put the term into Google and the first hit showed this web site:

Free-Codecs.com :: Download MP4 Splitter 1.0.0.4 : MP4 Splitter helps to read MP4 files

That web site says:

"Important Note :

- Gabest MP4 Splitter can't be used with the Haali Media Splitter installed So it's not advisable to have both files installed on your system in the same time."

As an experiment, I uninstalled the Haali Media Splitter (which is installed with CoreAVC). Now batch conversions using HD Link no longer complete. The last two files are never converted as conversion hangs on the second-to-last file with zero bytes being output. Weird.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tangey View Post
David,

I downloaded it, then tried to run Remaster.
Chris, sorry, the features are a slight bit different between Neo HD on Windows and Mac. The rest of the thread was a Windows discussion, and I incorrectly assumed you were on Windows.

Neo HD on Mac does not include all the frame rate change features (yet) that are included on Windows. My comments were valid for Windows but not for Mac.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Chris, the discussions have been around the PC version of NEO HD, the Mac verison has a slightly different feature set, and it sounds like we don't yet support you camera (which may required additional codecs.) So you send sample files to support, and/or wait for the next release (couple of weeks) that will have new features on the Mac.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Chris, the discussions have been around the PC version of NEO HD, the Mac verison has a slightly different feature set, and it sounds like we don't yet support you camera (which may required additional codecs.) So you send sample files to support, and/or wait for the next release (couple of weeks) that will have new features on the Mac.
Thanks to the two David's for your reply. I get the feeling that you are aware that Cineform's products are, of course, important to high-end Editors, but equally important to the potentially much larger market of people like me, who will still buy the product but will only use it intermittently. Not having the constant day to day Editing experience will naturally also leave us behind in the overall knowledge stakes, in other words there's lots of stuff we just don't need to know.

While there are many Mac users who enjoy technical challenges, I would suggest there are
a lot more like me. I like to make toast in the morning, but I'm not that interested in how the toaster works. This is my long-winded way of asking if Neo HD for Mac's design could have a more mac/intuitive approach. Drag and drop as well? Maybe you've already done that!

Anyway, the 2 weeks is fine with me as I'm off on Summer holiday, thanks for the offer of sending files off to support, we'll see if it's necessary. Will I need to re-set my trial version?

Just to refresh reader's memories my questions have centered around converting files from the new Canon SX1 IS compact camera. As I live in Australia, a PAL country, I would like to convert the full HD H264 30fps video files to 25fps for final cut editing. What confuses me is why do they have it switchable NTSC/PAL but it still records in 30 fps, is that then really PAL anyway?

So thanks for taking the time on what's actually a bit peripheral for this discussion , but I know now I can't go wrong with a company who's CEO takes a direct interest in the consumer's issues!
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I must not be doing something right...I was getting the upside down image and then I installed Haali media splitter and now I get no image at all. I uninstalled Haali media splitter and now it is back to being upside down

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase