EX1 to Cineform workflow: how to best sync TWO cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Trustee

EX1 to Cineform workflow: how to best sync TWO cameras?

Say, there's a shoot with two EX1's.

Footage is transcoded into Cineform before editing.

Since Cineform (to the best of my knowledge) does not retain original timecode from MP4s, question arises:

- What is the best way to synchronize two cameras during the shoot, to avoid post-production headaches?

So far I was simply using a clapper, which is also a pain because both cameras need to clearly see it, and that is not always possible. Plus, start/stopping the cams multiple times requires clap sync each time. Not fun. And, manually finding the clap moment in the footage and aligning the clips in timeline is tedious and not precise.

Any better ways of doing so?

Maybe a flash - but then there's no loud accompanying sound like with clapper, which helps aligning the clips quickly. And, due to EX1's rolling shutter, it may not even capture the flash correctly!

What would you guys do?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Trustee

>> bump <<

anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't have an EX1, but when using Premiere with Cineform with footage from my FX1s/FX7s, I just visually align the audio waveforms. Just find the first audio peak in the clip and align it to the same peak in the corresponding clip from the other cam.

The challenges you are experiencing with using a clapper are the same ones faced by Hollywood, but it's just the nature of the beast. But the above method is easier.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Alex,

Our next release will have timecode support for EX1 MP4s, so hopefully that will help with your multi-camera editing!
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I like the idea of using a cheap camera flash unit. EASY to see and sync, and only bursts for a frame or two. Dead simple.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin View Post
Our next release will have timecode support for EX1 MP4s
Tim - thanks, that'd be cool!

When do you think will you roll out beta for this? I use Prospect HD.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase