Movement Trail in Final File at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Movement Trail in Final File

Whether it's Cineform avi or any other media-encoded file format, the movement of the subjects leave a strobe-like trail. The trail is there even when the subject doesn't move as long as there's camera movement.

I capture through HDLink, with all the recommended settings on the Cineform forum for the HV20 camera. I edit on Adobe Premiere CS3 (Aspect HD). The only thing I didn't choose specifically is the FRAME FORMAT which I left on "Automatic" rather than "progressive". I figure Cineform will be right detecting if the format is interlaced on progressive with that option. Other than that, I check REMOVE 3-2 PULL DOWN (HV20) and DE-INTERLACE 1080i.

When I add slower/faster time remapping speeds, the strobe trail in movement is even worse. That's the biggest headache I have with Cineform to date. Everything else seems to work fine. I do have XHA1 cameras which I'm going to test later, but right now, I'm testing the HV20. Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about:

We Were Kids on Vimeo

PLEASE HELP and feel free to ADVISE! I'm a newbie by ALL counts.
Bob Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

User error. :)

You have a progressive source, yes it is 24p with 60i, and that is solved with the pulldown removal. You have added deinterlace, yet is redundant for a 24p source. If you combine pulldown removal and deinterlace, HDLink assumes you have standard 60i stream. Turn de-interlace off and everything will look fine.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll try it.
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi David. I was so excited to make the change you requested. But unfortunately, the movement trail is still there. I looked at the clips in the camera to make sure there was no trail in the original clips. And there was none. Those trails got added from the capture through HDLink.

When I export the movie out, whether it's in Cineform AVI form with the defaulted 23.976 fps or through the media encoder (23.976, 24, 25, or 30 fps), the "trail" result is the same.

I really don't know what's going on! Through vimeo, I see tons of HV20 materials with smooth movement (no trail) even for fast moving camera shots and fast subject movements when they use capture or Edit tools other than HDLink or Aspect HD. PLEASE HELP!
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Bob. I think you're experiencing the same problem as mine. I use HDLink to convert my EX1 (mp4) files to Cineform AVI. And I think it is an interlace issue. Whether I use deInterlace option or not in HDLink, the result still the same. Checkout my post.

My source clip is MP4 from EX1, 50i, 1920x1080. In HDLink, I used No Speed Change, No deinterlace, and Interlace option next to Quality was set to Automatic (changed to Interlace, Progressive, but this didn't seem to matter anyway).

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...e-problem.html

I just want to go from MP4 EX1 to Cineform AVI, 50i, 1920x1080, but I got trail like yours.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dave ... Can you help on this one?
Bob Jerome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase