Green-Purple export from After Effects CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 20th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Green-Purple export from After Effects CS3

Hello,
I have been using NEO HDV and have recently upgraded to AspectHD (5.31 build 119). I am using CS3 and my problem appeared when I installed Aspect. Previously with NEO I could follow this procedure without problems:
I import a premiere project to after effects for colour correction, and export a final Cineform avi from AE. Then I import it back to premiere and the clip plays as follows: The image is scaled in the middle 50% of the display, its half part on the left is totally green and the other half (right) is squeezed and upside down, in green and purple (!)
I have tried changing every setting in AE. I have tried deinterlacing upper field, upper field with "preserve edges" on, and have switched on and off every setting in the codec (Video Systems RGB, ITU.Bt.709, Up convert 4:2:2 to 4:4:4, all quality settings, all Interlacing settngs), but nothing. I always get this problem when playing back from the timeline, the preview window and the little thumbnail on the project window. Note that scrubbing works fine. Only playback is problematic.
The problematic files exported from AE, playback normally in premiere using the HDV 1080p25 preset, so its a problem with the cineform preset somehow.
I have attached a picture to demonstrate my problem, but because I couldn't grab the overlay screen during playback, I recreated it in Photoshop, but you get the idea I guess...

I am using a Toshiba Qosmio G30-10B, Vista 32bit, Intel Core2 T7600@2.33GHz with 4GB of RAM.
Please help me with this, because I cannot work at the moment.
Thank you,
Stathis
Attached Thumbnails
Green-Purple export from After Effects CS3-ae.jpg  
Stathis Athanasiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Try the latest version of Aspect HD, that version is old.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just installed v5.43 Build 127
Nothing. The same thing...
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I you re-encode the source (in AE) and it still does it, file a trouble ticket at CineForm Support.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't understand. What do you mean if I re-encode the source? Whatever I export from AE using the cineform codec, has this problem when brought in Premiere.
For example I used a jpg, making a simple movement with it and exported using the cineform codec. When imported back in premiere the problem is still there. I mean it doesn't matter what I use in AE as source, as long as it is exported using cineform, it will not playback in Premiere.
I used the Force Render filter in Premiere, and the problematic files play back after rendering, but that defeats the purpose of having a real-time plugin, doesn't it?
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All I was asking is for you to retry your exports from AE, not assume that you old exports would work with the newer software. This is not a known issue (AE exports work fine) that is why you need to talk to support.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have tried that as well. I will post a trouble ticket and see what happens. I guess you have never heard of something similar?
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Solved !

I resolved the problem and I am just letting you know what was it, in case you come across it again. Instead of using "Cineform AVI" in the output module in AE, I was using Video for Windows with Cineform codec.

It was that silly...

:)

Cheers
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

No...

Unfortunately it was not just that. Just to let others know who might be experiencing this weird bug, the inverted green-purple display appears randomly after some cut in the timeline and continues like this (ie inverted, scaled 50%, green-purple) until I pause. Hitting play again, it continues normally, until the next cut, and then it continues like this again.
I have tried several things that cineform support proposed, but up to now, nothing works.
:>(
Stathis Athanasiou is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase