Space Bar stopped "playing" in timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Space Bar stopped "playing" in timeline

Using Premiere Pro 2 with Aspect.

I'm in the middle of a project and my space bar will not play within the timeline now that I'm halfway through this project. When I press the spacebar it gives me an hour glass right beside my cursor for a few seconds and then goes away.

I can scrub the timeline and play from my source window. I have re-booted I don't know how many times. It plays in my other projects fine...just not the one I'm currently working on.

I've even copied my timeline and pasted it into a new sequence. Same result.

Thank you for your responses in advance.
Dustin Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Does it play the very end of the timeline? If so, work your way back through the timeline to determine the problem clip.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #3
New Boot

No, it doesn't play at the end either. I ended up going back to my "auto save" projects and opened one earlier in the day. I re-saved it as a different name and it seems to be working now.

I'm guessing the file got corrupted while I was working on it (if that's even possible).

Thank you!
-Dustin
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey, Dustin- in my experience, anything is possible. I always leave the autosave set for every 5 minutes. I can't tell you how many times its saved my bacon.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have mine set the same way. If you are keeping multiple auto-saves (I think the default is five), note that when you go back to open one, the highest numbered is not necessarily the most recent version. Display properties for the files and choose the latest one.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6
New Boot

I was still having trouble with this and finally figured out that my problem was a rendered out .bmp file that I created from within Premiere. The .bmp file worked fine when it was less than a minute long (using it as a background graphic) but when I stretched it out to over 2 minutes, it simply wouldn't play and ultimately crashed the system.

Soooo, I brought it into Photoshop and made a .jpg of it, and life is good again.

Go figure.
-Dustin
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #7
Major Player

It's also worth adding that when this happens it's quite often not the clip that you are currently watching but another one coming up in the timeline. I presume there is some kind of look ahead caching going on.

I've had enormous problems with cineform files that have had audio tweaked in directly with audition. Probably not cineforms fault but i ended up remultiplexing with virtualdub to get them working again.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase