CineForm Discontinuing Aspect HD after 5 years.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #31
Major Player

Ok thank you.

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I have always considered the $500 I spent on this product the worst mistake I ever made. It never really worked well, and contrary to what I was told at the time of purchase, it was going to cost me another $100 to upgrade to one that worked and one that supported vista. Now you have discontinued it, and it’s going to cost another $200.
I for one am not going to throw good money after bad.
Ron
Ron Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #33
Major Player

Ron,

I'm sorry you've had trouble. We try to resolve issues if/when they occur but it seems we didn't do a good enough job with your problem. If there are remaining issues we can help with then please contact support by filing a trouble ticket.

We agree Vista was a thorn in the side of most video applications for quite a while, including Adobe. Most Vista issues now seem to be resolved, including with the current Aspect HD. Microsoft's SP1 release helped a lot as it solved many underlying problems.

There is certainly no requirement to upgrade. If we can help make your investment in Aspect HD work better for you without you purchasing an upgrade please let us know, although this specific thread is not the right location. Support for Aspect HD will continue.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #34
CTO, CineForm Inc.

My post removed as D.T. replied with the same info.
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #35
Trustee

Hey Ron, do email Cineform support, they are actually very good, and will work with you on resolving your issues. Both Davids and Jake are very helpful, in my experience. Keep trying - I'm religious about Cineform, since it really works for me (I'm on Win XP, both x32 and x64), letting me get very high image quality at small file sizes - and real time editing in Premiere. I use it for years on all my commercial and indie productions with great success, really.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I'm just about to complete grading my 85 minute film (using MB Looks), still in Premiere Pro CS3 Aspect HD projects...

Just wondering whether if I get the Prospect upgrade, should I create new Prospect premiere project (1920x1080) and import the original Aspect premiere project?

Is there any stability or speed improvements to consider?

Or is the only factor affecting quality what I'm exporting the final Cineform HD avi out as (using Prospect rather than Aspect?)

Thanks for your info and continued support on this forum!
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Only worht doing the 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 project conversion if you have lost of post elements like graphics and titles that can use that extra resolution. If you don't Prospect HD will allow you to export a 1440x1080 timeline to a new 1920x1080 CineForm AVI for archive of BluRay mastering.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #38
Trustee

So can someone clarify exactly what I would need (minimal...meaning cheap!) to get Premiere Pro CS3/4 to preview timeline to external HD monitor using Prospect HD? Currently using Nvidia Hardware Overlay with Aspect HD and need to switch to a more robust HDMI or SDI card but I am not sure what Prospect supports exactly.

Keep in mind budget....as in....I don't have one! (rim shot)

Seriously, I can afford the Prospect HD upgrade but would prefer a "budget" hardware card if you catch my drift.

I have been pining after Prospect for years, especially after shooting a timelapse cloud sequence and watching the incredible posterizing effect in the blue clouds when I color corrected. Beautiful I tell you.....not.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #39
Trustee

Oh, one other thing. How will affect sharing files and projects with colleagues who have Aspect HD on their systems? I do work on independent projects and work projects on 2 different systems in 2 locations. I will only be able to upgrade one of them.....what will happen when I open a Prospect Project on a machine that only has Aspect HD? Poof? :)
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #40
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All Prospect HD media is compatible with Aspect HD, but a 1920x1080 Prospect HD project would not open without issue in Aspect HD (I'm not sure what it does.) Prospect HD is full compatible with Aspect HD, but the other why around less so. Mixing projects across versions is never recommended, think loading CS4 project in CS3, it simply doesn't work. By eleminating Aspect HD we are working to lessen product jumping issues. Eventually it would be best is all you licenses are upgraded.

For HDSDI monitoring Prospect HD supports: AJA Xena HS, LH, LHe and 2Ke (captures from this also.) For Blackmagic we only have capture support through HDLink, although we plans to have the Decklink series enabled for monitoring under CS4 within Prospect HD around 1Q09.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #41
Major Player

I was wondering what would be the situation for people like me having the PHD licence for almost a year and waiting for the for the monitoring feature of the intensity card. I'm a CS3 user and I don't see me uptating Premier cs3. Any way to make work the cineform Cs4 version with Cs3 in order to get the bonus of monitoring with intensity card?
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #42
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
I was wondering what would be the situation for people like me having the PHD licence for almost a year and waiting for the for the monitoring feature of the intensity card. I'm a CS3 user and I don't see me uptating Premier cs3. Any way to make work the cineform Cs4 version with Cs3 in order to get the bonus of monitoring with intensity card?
It is a good question.

We are likely to continue Prospect HD CS3 support wherever possible, we don't want to force everyone to CS4. While maintaining Aspect HD using either 1.5, 2.0 & CS3 was too ticky, Prospect HD dropped 1.5.1 ages ago, so we will see whether we can manage CS2,CS3 and CS4 support or just CS3 + 4 for most new features. I expect PHD v4 will be at least CS3 and CS4 compatible, Adobe doesn't like that so much, but our customers prefer it.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #43
Major Player

If the CS4 version works on Cs3 with no problem Im sure that people will pay the $199 update even if we are going to still working with Cs3. I know that that you guys were trying to bring the monitoring tool so hard before the update.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #44
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is the idea. There are going to be many cool features, not just CS4 support, CS3 users will want the PHD v4 upgrade.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #45
Regular Crew

If I upgrade from Aspect to PHD do I need to uninstall Aspect prior to installing PHD? If not, will I then end up with both Aspect and PHD on my system? Thanks.
Jim Day is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase