Neo HDV vs Neo HD? Please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Neo HDV vs Neo HD? Please help

Hey all.
I'm getting ready to start a new project, so I have a new budget, which is always nice. :)

I've been using Connect HD, since I use a JVC HD100/DRHD100 Firestore and Sony Vegas (v7.x), but now I'd like to move to Neo. Since the JVC produces a 720p 24fps, I was thinking Neo HDV would be the one for me, but upres'ing to 1080 would be really nice.

So my question is, would going to Neo HD and spending an extra $250 on the software reallty give me that much more with the setup that I have? From what I can tell, I'm only getting 10bit and upconvert to 1080 with the Neo HD version over the Neo HDV.

Thank you for any help.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard View Post
Hey all.
I'm getting ready to start a new project, so I have a new budget, which is always nice. :)

I've been using Connect HD, since I use a JVC HD100/DRHD100 Firestore and Sony Vegas (v7.x), but now I'd like to move to Neo. Since the JVC produces a 720p 24fps, I was thinking Neo HDV would be the one for me, but upres'ing to 1080 would be really nice.

So my question is, would going to Neo HD and spending an extra $250 on the software reallty give me that much more with the setup that I have? From what I can tell, I'm only getting 10bit and upconvert to 1080 with the Neo HD version over the Neo HDV.

Thank you for any help.
I saw that this has been covered before and the big thing for going with Neo HD was the 10bit for color correction, which I do a lot of, and compositing, which I don't. Still on the fence here. A deciding factor would be like a $100 off sale at Cineform for Xmas. Hey guys. What'cha say? :)
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Major Player

The main difference is that NEO HD will do 1920 x 1080 and NEO HDV will only do 1440 x 1080 (1.33 PAR). If you're not starting out with 1920 x 1080 on the camcorder, you're really paying a lot of extra cash for a small increase in quality via the 10 bit color.

Just as an aside, since Cineform recently dropped Aspect HD, maybe it's time for them to consider dropping NEO HDV also and cutting the price on NEO HD. After all, NEO HDV was targetted at consumer HDV camcorders and many of those have been superseded by AVCHD units that record with some semblance of 1920 x 1080.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Just as an aside, since Cineform recently dropped Aspect HD, maybe it's time for them to consider dropping NEO HDV also and cutting the price on NEO HD. After all, NEO HDV was targetted at consumer HDV camcorders and many of those have been superseded by AVCHD units that record with some semblance of 1920 x 1080.
We have some changes a-brewing on the Neo front as well....Stay tuned....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post

Hmm.... Sounds like I should hold out then. :)
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I am in Orange county, Always looking for extra things to do, what do you have in mind
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
I am in Orange county, Always looking for extra things to do, what do you have in mind

Hey there Hugh.
Thanks for the reply. Currently I'm working on two projects. The first is a 5 episode action/thriller series web short.

The second is a feature length script that I wrote. I'm working on finding it's way into the system in some fashion. I've gotten coverage notes on it and it's getting really good reviews.

You can email me here and we can talk.
Heath
carcaridon@cox.net
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Major Player

@Heath,

Just a friendly suggestion. Edit your email address in your last post and replace the "@" with the word "at" or you will be opening yourself up for a spam surprise, when someone scavenges your email address. If it was me, I would delete the email address altogether and use a PM.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Does cineform offer upgrade option for Neo HDV users to upgrade to Neo HD? I originally purchased Neo HDV for use with my HV30.. I plan on getting a 5D Mark II which has 1080P resolution so I would need Neo HD...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Yang,

Yes, CineForm offers an upgrade from Neo HDV to Neo HD at full value for Neo HDV. You can purchase this at our online store. NEO HD v3 (Windows Download)
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Major Player

WIll Neo Scene transcode 5DMK2 footage?

I'm deciding on purchasing both HMC150 and 5D2. I current also shoot with HV30. What is the minimum Cineform product that will transcode video from all 3 cameras?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Major Player

Yang, Neo Scene will *not* transcode 5D2 footage. 5D2 footage is not AVCHD from a wrapper standpoint even though the underlying compression is AVCHD I-Frame. But Neo HD *will* convert 5D2 footage.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Heh, heh, I should be entitled to some of that free brew. ;-)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Heh, heh, I should be entitled to some of that free brew. ;-)
You were 2/3 right as you didn't predict Neo Scene. But 2/3 is pretty good. Any stock market predictions?
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase