Audio volume too low with NeoSCENE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Major Player

[FIXED]: Audio volume too low

I just tested the latest NeoSCENE, and I converted this HF11 .m2ts file http://xnk.nu/pf24/00028.mts to Cineform AVI, using the default NeoSCENE options. When later I imported both files on Vegas Pro 8.0c to compare them, the audio in the cineform clip had half the volume off of the original file. Screenshot showing the problem here: http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/audio-levels.jpg
Project properties tried both as 5.1 and stereo. I checked with other apps too apart from Vegas, and indeed, the Cineform file has half the volume off of the original file. Is this a bug?

Last edited by Eugenia Loli-Queru; January 9th, 2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: fixed
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not a bug in Neo Scene is it doesn't touch the audio itself, and the AVI stores only uncompressed audio. Neo Scene simply plays the source and using whatever Ac3 Filter is installed to convert the audio to uncompressed for the AVI. Filters like the one from AC3Filter.net do have gain settings so you could check that out.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

I do have the AC3 filter installed (it works), but I see no gain settings anywhere. Could you instruct me where to find that preference panel or how to invoke it? I went to the Sound settings in XP's control panel where I can view the audio codecs installed on the system that happen to have GUI settings, but AC3Filter was not listed there.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Mine shows up under Start->Programs->AC3Filter->AC3Filter Config
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, found it, and made a few tests. I had to change its gain to +5.3 to get an almost identical waveform to the original .m2ts file with cineform. I hope I am not losing quality though by cranking up the gain...
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Also it could be that Vegas's M2TS audio decoding is wrong.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Major Player

No, it's not the case. It's a problem with either the AC3 filter, or the way Cineform works with it. As I said in my first post, I tried decoding both streams with VLC (ffmpeg) and WMP (VfW) too, they had the same problem as Vegas, so the problem is really not with Vegas.

I think Cineform should look at the problem, not because it might be or not be your bug, but because it's important to offer the right output to your users, out of the box.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It might be worth sending a note to AC3filter.net, but there is nothing CineForm can do if there is a problem in that component, short of recommending another. That all said, I'm not seeing any issue here. Waveform all look the same: native Vegas vs Cyberlink Audio Decoder vs AC3filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio volume too low with NeoSCENE-ac3isfine.png  
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Aha! I had an older version of the AC3Filter that created the problem! I uninstall it, installed the new one, and it now works perfectly! Thanks! My version was 1.09. Latest is 1.51 as of now.
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Cool! If only we could change thread titles.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'd be interested to know why you use AC3filter on the audio. As a result I lose my Panasonic camcorder's 5.1 output. Can't you just allow the stream into the output transparently as an option, like one can with VDUB?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We decompress the audio, as there are many tools are can't run AC3 or other compressed audio codecs. As for 5.1 there is very little surround information being acquired, and of course Pro applications never use camera audio, plus 5.1 and 7.1 are best created in post, or aquiried with multiple external mic sources. You can always use the audio from the MOV.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
We decompress the audio, as there are many tools are can't run AC3 or other compressed audio codecs. As for 5.1 there is very little surround information being acquired, and of course Pro applications never use camera audio, plus 5.1 and 7.1 are best created in post, or aquiried with multiple external mic sources. You can always use the audio from the MOV.
Thanks for your reply.
But, by the pricing you've set for NeoScene, this product doesn't seem aimed at the 'pro' community. I agree that Canon and others are still stuck in the old stereo era, but others are moving forward. Most 'home' NLEs except for Adobe Premier pass 5.1 through from AVCHD in to their output. And as I've pointed out on another thread, the 5.1 separation on the inbuilt mikes on Panasonics is much better than I anticipated. Still, it's your choice!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for your reply.
But, by the pricing you've set for NeoScene, this product doesn't seem aimed at the 'pro' community. I agree that Canon and others are still stuck in the old stereo era, but others are moving forward. Most 'home' NLEs except for Adobe Premier pass 5.1 through from AVCHD in to their output. And as I've pointed out on another thread, the 5.1 separation on the inbuilt mikes on Panasonics is much better than I anticipated. Still, it's your choice!
Agreed that NeoScene is aimed for the non-Pro, but its origins are from pro products, impacting it internal processing path. Also the non-Pro would have more issue will 5.1 compatibility, so uncompressed audio makes the system more compatible reducing tech support. For example, you are the only one to ever mention this, this is not a concern of the market.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase