Switching to mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Switching to mac

I am setting up a mac pro system for editing. My question is rather simple. Using windows, I was editing on premiere pro cs3 with aspect HD. How can I still use the cineform avi files I have on the mac (still with CS3).

Thank you,
Stathis
Stathis Athanasiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Stathis, you can use CineForm's Neo HD or Neo 4K for Mac with all of your CineForm footage. We do not have the the RT CineForm engine ported to PPro on Mac however, so the RT editing experience isn't as high as with Aspect (retired) and Prospect on Windows. You'll use the effects, transitions, etc, provided through PPro.

Using CS3 you'll have a Red render line over your CineForm footage although it will play fine. Using CS4 on Mac will be a bit better because our CS4 importer will be available in about two weeks, plus PPro adopts an FCP-like feature of using an Orange line instead of a Red line. The Orange line doesn't force renders for some playback as the Red line does.

We have a Trial of Neo HD (Mac) so you can experiment with this.

****Edit: Sorry...the Windows version of the CS4 importer will be about two weeks - it'll be a bit longer for Mac. But you can still use Neo HD Mac with CS4 - you just get the Red line for now.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply David.
If I install the NEO player, I will be able to edit in Premiere the cineform avi files I already have, right?

Also, do I get any discount as I have purchased NEO HDV and Aspect in the past or it doesn't work like this when switching platforms?
Stathis Athanasiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stathis Athanasiou View Post
If I install the NEO player, I will be able to edit in Premiere the cineform avi files I already have, right?
Yes, but the current version posted of Neo Player on Mac does not (yet) have our latest and fastest decoder. Instead, I would install Neo HD. Once Neo HD expires you'll still retain the current fast decoder. Our faster decoder is beneficial for PPro on Mac - we just haven't updated Neo Player yet, which we'll do in the next couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stathis Athanasiou View Post
Also, do I get any discount as I have purchased NEO HDV and Aspect in the past or it doesn't work like this when switching platforms?
We don't have a specific upgrade program when switching between platforms. I've sent you an email with some options.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase