Cineform/Xena/Monitor & then to Broadcast??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform/Xena/Monitor & then to Broadcast???

Hi everyone,

I am a commercial producer and have been working with the following items:

- Camera: Red One
- NLE: Adobe Premiere CS3
- Codec: Cineform Prospect 4K build 187
- IO Card: Xena 2K (HD-SDI)

I have two questions:

1) How do I set up my Premiere/Xena 2K to output a 720p realtime monitor playback into my 720p monitor. (I must continue to edit in 4K cineform while monitoring on 720p)

2) Being that I'm on PC, and a cineform fan... I am staying away from Apple ProRes 422. What is the best way to send an HD spot to the broadcasters and retain clarity while not forcing Uncompressed (their machines can't play uncompressed realtime).

Dear David -- I believe #2 is a problem for you at this point, as the station suggested Apple ProRes 422 to deliver HD content. If I HAVE to be on ProRes 422... I have less money for Cineform.

THANK YOU.
@BrentwGraham
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have an AJA Xena2K, you can use the retail driver install to make DVCProHD Quicktime files, which is a compressed HD codec. The retail drivers are different from the Cineform ones, so don't install them until you are done editing, or dual boot your system.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I've heard of this, but yeah, they can't coexist...

Sucks, wish we could just turn them on/off, until they learn to play nice with one another.

Thanks Mike
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham View Post
Hi everyone,

2) Being that I'm on PC, and a cineform fan... I am staying away from Apple ProRes 422. What is the best way to send an HD spot to the broadcasters and retain clarity while not forcing Uncompressed (their machines can't play uncompressed realtime).

Dear David -- I believe #2 is a problem for you at this point, as the station suggested Apple ProRes 422 to deliver HD content. If I HAVE to be on ProRes 422... I have less money for Cineform.

THANK YOU.
@BrentwGraham
If the station is using Macs, you could see if they would download Neo Player for Mac. It is small, free, and lets you play CineForm files.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5

Being as you're on a PC, you couldn't generate Apple prores 422, whether you wanted to or not. There's number of ways to export platform agnostic files:
cineform
sheer
dnxhd
come immediately to mind.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase