Conversion of M2T Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Conversion of M2T Files

I recently installed Prospect HD 3 and have been attempting to convert my M2T files to cineforms (using HD link), but the quality drops significantly. Colors dull down and it loses some sharpness. Also when I chose the file, then choose a folder on a different drive, it saves it to the file folder - any way to have it save to a different folder?
Tom Santopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quality does not change like you describe. When we hear "colors dull", it tells me you are using Studio RGB, likely under Vegas, and dull/low contrast actually means more dynamic range, which is a good thing. Nothing is lost during the conversion. If you don't want Studio RGB,

Set the open path, check "Use Capture Location for converted files", and browse to where you want them to go.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

David, you confirm that there is no lost during conversion from M2T to Cineform ProspectHD by HDLink?

I never did it, but im checking the possibilities of the new Sony HVR-MRC1 to record M2T from my Canon A1 on a cf card via firewire.

So, to be totally sure,

1. if i get M2T files from the MRC1 and then transcode, i will have in the end the same quality Prospect AVIs than if i capture direct from the camera into Premiere?

2. how long would it take to transcode 1 minute m2T into Filmscan1 Prospects?

Thanks!
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There is no loss you can see.

1. Yes. Potentially more quality with the CineForm workflow if you have to render a generation, some CineForm handle much better than native camera formats (all of them.)

2. Depend on you PC, these days many times faster than real-time is possible -- say 15-20 seconds on modern multicore desktop.
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am not using Vegas. These files were output out of Canopus Edius 5 as M2T files which Premiere CS4 handles no problem . I was going to start converting all my M2T files to cineform format so I can use them in Premiere CS4 once Prospect HD 4 is released. After conversion, I played them in Windows Media Player 11 and Nero 8 Showtime and both looked dull - so I am concerned. I still have Aspect 3 on my computer - I tried to uninstall it but it can't find the unistaller! Will this have effects?
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

They can't be dull internally as we use direct YUV to YUV transfers, which means the color can't change, but there is a presentation issue happening on your PC. So you may need to discuss this with support. Also try VirtualDub, it tends not to mislead in presentation.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So I downloaded VirtualDub and when I play the cineform footage in it it looks gorgeous! So it seems Windows Media player and Nero Showtime cannot process the cineform files correctly. Unfortunately I only have Premiere CS4 so I can't edit yet to test things out. Can't wait for Prospect 4. Does all this seem right?
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

DirectShow playback (Windows Media Player, Nero, etc.) defaults to using YUV, NVidia cards in particular tend to screw that up, different for each installation. VirtualDub proves the files are fine.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well at least I have an ATI card! Thanks for your help David. Any way to change the direct show setting?
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There will be a setting for your ATI card, normally they default to correct YUV to RGB math. Nothing wrong with what Directshow is doing, it is you card's video settings cuasing the issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase