Neo Scene (Win) now supports 5D Mk II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Some things to try. Convert other AVCHD or HDV sources, to you have the same issue? If you do that suggests a CineForm install issue as those core features have changed very little. Try installing NEO HD and converting the same sources, if that works, uninstall NEO HD and reinstall Neo Scene (it might now work) -- this will help determine if there is a component missing from the Neo Scene install. The 5D support is the main new feature, so if that is all that is failing, try sources with and without audio, many of the changes for 5D support were in the audio handling. Some ideas. If you can point out a more accurate failure point, I can look into it over the long weekend.
here's a datapoint. I installed this latest version of Neo Scene on a Virtual PC virtual machine running Windows 7 beta and tried converting one of the large files and it seems to have worked. So something that's currently installed on my host machine is obviously creating some sort of conflict. The question is, where do I start looking for the problem?
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
here's a datapoint. I installed this latest version of Neo Scene on a Virtual PC virtual machine running Windows 7 beta and tried converting one of the large files and it seems to have worked. So something that's currently installed on my host machine is obviously creating some sort of conflict. The question is, where do I start looking for the problem?
I've removed several things (ffdshow, divx suite) and tried again. It's still crashing. This time when it crashed I took a look at the error report and this is what it says:

AppName: hdlink.exe AppVer: 1.1.0.108 ModName: mp4splitter.ax
ModVer: 1.0.0.2 Offset: 0003532a

I performed a search for mp4splitter.ax on my system to see if maybe there was a stray version causing problems but it only came up with the one that was in C:\Program Files\Cineform\Neo Scene.

I do have CoreAVC 1.9.0 installed on the host machine while the virtual machine still has 1.8.x installed. That couldn't be it, could it?
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Keith, try installing the AC3 decoder (see the link on page 2 of the Neo Scene manual). I'm not sure this is a complete fix but it is working pretty well on my system now (and I had the same problem of explorer dying).

I had loaded some AVCHD files and they also killed explorer, so I installed the AC3 decoder, which fixed the problem with these files and it seems better with 5DII files as well.

I'm trying Neo Scene with Elements 7 on my laptop - not quite confident to try PPro on my editing PC, plus I have CS4 anyway. But Neo Scene is doing a very nice job with Elements.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; February 14th, 2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The same here: installed under Windows 7 and it worked. Installed under Vista 64 bit it produced a monster of file (huge) and it was playing very slow. There is a conflict somewhere.
Edouard Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
David,

As one of those who said they'd happily buy NeoScene if it supported the 5D mk II, I'm chomping at the bit to try it. That said, I've not seen many (any?) reports where the user says it's working trouble-free for them.

If I download the trial and it doesn't work for me, due to some bugs, will I ever be able to download another Trial version at some point in the future (after the initial trial period has expired) to see if the bug fixes worked? If not, I guess I'll have to delay trying the Trial software until other brave souls have been the guinnea pigs and found all the kinks!

Some of the errors reported above were exactly the errors I was getting when running HDLink from the NeoHD trial (conversions stopping at random times, zero-byte files being created, no audio, and the page file growing with each conversion until it crashed Windows). If I get the same, or different errors again with NeoScene and my Trial expires, how will I know that they've been fixed if I can't ever run the Trials again?

Also, will the Cineform converted 5D mk II files play in real time from the Timeline in Premier Pro CS3?

Thanks for your help,

Julian
Julian, I'm pretty sure when they release a new version of their software, it resets the trial. So you can always download, install and start the trial fresh again. I'm 90% sure this is correct. I wouldn't let the trial period interefere with you trying it out. I'm sure Cineform can work with you on this, they want your business.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Jon & Julian,

Jon is correct, when ever a key new feature is added or a significant bug fix is done, the new download extends the trial peroid.
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

More info on NeoScene 1.1 crashing on WinXP SP3.

If I go to my computer>Manage>Device Manager the double click "sound, video and game controllers. Now double click Video Codecs then select the properites tab. From here you see all the installed codecs.

Select CineForm HD VFW Codec. Then click the Properties button, the dialog crashes.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Jon and David for your help.

David, does NeoScene allow Premier Pro CS3 to play the Cineform 5D mk II files in real time from the time line, or will we still be stuck at something much slower?

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #24
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
David, does NeoScene allow Premier Pro CS3 to play the Cineform 5D mk II files in real time from the time line, or will we still be stuck at something much slower?
Somewhere in between. Neo Scene doesn't add an accelerater to CS3, like Prospect HD does (if you really want speed, give that a try), yet the CineForm AVI version of the 5D video is faster the the MOV AVCHD source in CS3.
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #25
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Urtusuastegui View Post
More info on NeoScene 1.1 crashing on WinXP SP3.

If I go to my computer>Manage>Device Manager the double click "sound, video and game controllers. Now double click Video Codecs then select the properites tab. From here you see all the installed codecs.

Select CineForm HD VFW Codec. Then click the Properties button, the dialog crashes.
Interesting, so far it looks not like a codec bug, but an issue with the new licencing software having issues on some setups. The licensing / protection software changed to a newer version in Neo Scene 1.1.
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I spoke too soon. Weird. It worked for over one hour, now NeoScene is crashing Windows exporer again!
I finally found an error code to chase. FAULTING MODULE CFDECODE2.AX Looks like this is causing explorer to crash.
I will submit a bug ticket.

I FIXED IT. NeoScene 1.1 no longer crashing windows explorer
It was a registry problem. First, I followed Tim Buklin's instructions to uninstall NeoScene and then manually delete Cineform registry keys, files and folders.

But to fix it I had to do and additonal registry search for "cineform" I removed all keys with Cineform in them. I found quite a few, as this machine has had trials of Aspect, NeoHD on it previously.

It works great and is less filling....<grin>

Last edited by Andy Urtusuastegui; February 14th, 2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Neo Scene doesn't add an accelerater to CS3, like Prospect HD does (if you really want speed, give that a try).
For hobbyists who would still like to edit their 5D mk II footage easily (IE. in real time), Prospect HD, at $749, is priced well out of our budget... and doesn't natively support the 5D mk II files anyway.

I'll try NeoScene over the next few days, and see if it does what I need it to do.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #28
New Boot

I'm experiencing the same "Explorer Crashing" problem as others here on an XP32 box.

Problem appeared today after installing version 1.1. I've successfully (I believe) converted files today but when I navigate to the directory containing them, Explorer crashes. It also crashes when I navigate to any directory containing Cineform AVI files.

BTW: I uninstalled the previous version prior to installing 1.1.

David(s), is there a chance a soon-to-be-released update might fix this behavior? Searching and deleting registry keys isn't the cleanest method in the world for fixing the problem.
David Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Once we have determine what it is, as it doesn't happen on any of our test PCs (at home either.)
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #30
New Boot

I've managed to "mostly" resolve the problem by uninstalling 1.1, rebooting and then reinstalling 1.1. Out of several attempts, I've experienced only 1 Explorer crash.

BIGGER PROBLEM: I can no longer start Vegas Pro 8. I get the splash screen then nothing. I've watched the process in Task Manager. It sits there for a few seconds and then disappears.

Not that it necessarily matters but I'm a licensed owner of Neo Scene.

I'm going to try the uninstall route again but this time install the older version as I really want to do some editing tonight.
David Power is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase