Buglet: Neo Scene tags 5D Mk II files as interlaced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buglet: Neo Scene tags 5D Mk II files as interlaced

I just filed a ticket at Cineform but I just wanted to report that I have noticed that when transcoding 30p 5D Mk II source files using Neo Scene, the resulting Cineform files are tagged as being 29.970 interlaced.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Which pieces of software are reporting the files as interlaced? It may be an error on the NLE end.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Which pieces of software are reporting the files as interlaced? It may be an error on the NLE end.

I've only been able to check it in vegas. I opened the same file in virtualdub but vdub doesn't seem to report the frame format anywhere.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Submitted in error
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Keith:

What are your preferences set at in you conversion settings. Is it possible you have it set to convert to interlaced ?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed while using Sony Vegas. I'm such a newb, I thought it was user error.
Rich Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Keith:

What are your preferences set at in you conversion settings. Is it possible you have it set to convert to interlaced ?
the preferences are set to "Maintain Source Format", which I took to mean that the source frame format wouldn't change. There is also a "deinterlace" option and a "convert to 24p" option but no "convert to interlaced" option.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sony Vegas reports all 1080 heigh AVIs as interlaced. It a limitation of the VfW codec structure Sony Vegas is using.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
the preferences are set to "Maintain Source Format", which I took to mean that the source frame format wouldn't change. There is also a "deinterlace" option and a "convert to 24p" option but no "convert to interlaced" option.
by the way, I realize it doesn't actually matter since the two "fields" that would be interpreted would also create a progressive frame, but I see the potential for this to possibly introduce a loss of detail (and extra clock cycles) if the NLE "sees" an interlaced source and then erroneously applies some standard de-interlacing to "match" the clips to a progressive timeline.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Sony Vegas reports all 1080 heigh AVIs as interlaced. It a limitation of the VfW codec structure Sony Vegas is using.
oh, interesting. I did not know that. I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't have noticed this in the past since I believe these cineform avi files are the first 1080p avis I would have placed on a Vegas timeline. Not that I doubted you but I was curious so I rendered a 1080p avi file from vegas and then imported it back to the timeline, and sure enough, it shows it as interlaced. Thanks for clarifying and I guess that trouble ticket can be closed, or maybe shifted over to MS and/or Sony Creative Software.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't beleive that it "hurts" anything in Vegas, as long as your project settings are correct (Field order and Deinterlace both set to "None").
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase