NeoScene Help with Mac and 5D MK II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
New Boot

NeoScene Help with Mac and 5D MK II

Hi

I have just download and set up neoScene on my mac. Everything OK here however I have just opened NeoScene to convert a 5d MK ii .mov and I'm having real problems.
Basically I change the perimeters to what I want which gives me two choices Pulldown Removal which I presume is to 24p (yet I'm not sure) or deinterlace.

So I go for the Pulldown hoping thats 24p set the output to high ProRezHQ then I click the button "convert" This then tell me to save to a Directory so I select a folder and click open.
Then nothing happens!
So I think no worries click the convert button again, but everytime I do it just asks me to save to a directory???

What am I doing wrong? Anyone had this problem or knows a way round?
James Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

James, two things:

1. You must have Final Cut Studio installed with the ProRes encoder. CineForm does NOT ship the ProRes encoder.

2. You should not use pulldown removal for Canon 5D Mark II material as it is 30p. 30p to 24p is a difficult conversion which we don't support. The pulldown removal feature is for 60i source and also for HDV/AVCHD which embeds 24p in 60i. For your 5D2 you should go with 30p.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Downrez During Conversion of 5D2 Files in NeoScene?

So, am I missing something or is NeoScene incapable of downrezzing during conversion of 5D2 files? I'd like to take my 5D2 files down to 720p during conversion.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is NEO HD/4K function. We have to divide the professionals from the hobbiest somehow -- it is the lack on filters in Neo Scene that make NEO HD compelling for professionals. When NEO HD v4 is completed, it adds the First Light application, I'm sure we will get plenty of Neo Scene upgrades to those filter sets.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi David

Thanks but thats not the problem. I have Final Cut with ProRes encoder, the problem is it doesn't convert the files before I import to final cut. It should do this surely?

I have given a shout to Cineform as I must be the only one experiencing this issue.
James Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The destination directory must be different from the source. You also need to install the software as system administrator. QuickTime should be updated to 7.6 and it requires OS X 10.5 or later (10.5.6 recommended).

When you click on the "Convert" button, it will ask for a directory. Select one that you have write access to, and is not the source directory, and click on the "Open" button. The open dialog should go away and the conversion start.

Even if the destination folder is read only, NeoScene should read the file and show the progress bar, even though no output is generated.

If it still does not convert, open the Console application and see if any error messages were posted there.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Major Player

OK, I guess making the footage lower res is a "professional feature," but not really sure why professionals would downsize their intermediates? Or maybe I should say downrez below 1080p (I can understand if you are up in the 4K range, but then again, if you are shooting 4k, wouldn't you work at full rez in your intermediate only to downrez on final render depending on destination format/distribution?

Anyway, thanks for the answer, and I do understand the need to differentiate your product line, and I do appreciate the inclusion of 5D2 support in NeoScene. Thank you for that. It's just that Scene always seems to feel just one step out of reach for my preferred workflow, LOL (which would be 5D2 Mov > Cineform 720p30). Bummer.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Major Player

5D mk II and Premier Pro CS3 Project Settings?

I just started this thread over on the 5D mk II forum. It has to do with Cineform (NeoScene), Premier Pro CS3, TMPGEncXPress and the 5D mk II.

If anyone here has opinions on modifying my Premier project or TMPGEncXPress settings, I'd love to hear about it. The gist of the thread is that a 12 minute 5D mk II clip becomes a 869 MB MPEG file when processed through DebugMode FrameServer and TMPGEncXPress, which is considerably larger than a comparable sized 30F clip from my Canon XH-A1.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase