How to Read Video Specs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Trustee

How to Read Video Specs?

Does cineform have a tool to read the specs on a video clip.

For example, if I capture a clip as m2t, is there a tool in Neo Scene that allows me to read what the clip is: 24p in 60i; 60i; 24F; etc.

If not, what tool is recommended to use in conjunction with Neo Scene?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Whew, that's a big topic, considering it's a simple question. Video files are basically made up of a video track(s), an audio track(s) and header information (metadata). The metadata format will vary, depending on the wrapper (file type, like AVI, MOV, etc.). If the camcorder is "well behaved", then the metadata will have the correct information in it, such as track's frame height, frame width, frame rate, audio bit rate, etc.. Depending on your OS (Mac, Windows, etc.) there are a variety of freeware metadata readers that will display the information that your are looking for. Given the relatively large number of combinations of OSes and wrappers, it would be difficult to list even a small number of these programs. But you can find them by searching with Google, using the appropriate keywords, like "AVI file", "metadata", "header data" etc..Also, most NLEs have a "Properties" command, which will display the metadata for any video, audio or image file.

BTW, 24p in a 60i wrapper is still 60i and you can only discern that's it's embedded 24p, by opening the file in an NLE on a 60i timeline and then looking at specific frames in the sequence. Some of the frames will be progressive and others will be interlaced. If the file also has pulldown flags, that's no problem, but a lot of consumer camcorders do not create these flags, so the sequence must be guessed at, either by the user or the software.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Gspot 2.70 is free tool and a good place to start.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have these other programs.

However, since Cineform deinterlaces, removes various kinds of pulldown for embedded 24p, etc., all with a single check box, the program must read the pulldown information from the file (whether there are flags or not, since the pulldown can be advanced or not, can be there or not, the video may be interlaced or not, may be 50i or 60i, etc.), and I was hoping this information was available to the user.

The price point must cast this information to be disabled from the users view. Is this information available in the higher priced products? Or is it disabled from view there, too.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Most pulldown removers (24p inside 60i, with no flags) use cadence. They basically "look" at the beginning frames of the clip and try to figure out which frames are interlaced and which are progressive. Once the cadence is established, then the converter filter moves along and produces a native 24p output file. If the clip is either very short or it has been edited, then the process may not work correctly.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase