Weekend Beta of NeoScene 1.1.3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Weekend Beta of NeoScene 1.1.3

We finally found out what was going wrong with clash between Nero 7 and NeoScene, so we here is the beta that addresses that. The second big change is regarding 30.0 vs 29.97fps of the Canon 5D MkII. While NeoScene's AVCHD decoder thought the source was 29.97 when it was in fact 30.0, we now have official embraced the 29.97 conversion. Both audio and video stream a resampled to 29.97 (no quality loss,) allowing for much easier work with other camera sources (all 29.97 or 23.976 based) and for easier export to DVD and BluRay (both 29.97 not 30fps.) If we left it as 30.0, the default 29.97 timelines and disk formats can cause issues such as frame drops, frame blending artifacts, or audio sync programs. Standardizing to 29.97 makes everyone editing life easier, so it is an automatic feature on NeoScene 1.1.3.

Please give it a try : http://miscdata.com/cineform/NeoScen....111-Setup.zip

Last edited by David Newman; March 21st, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks David, I could smell the midnight oil burning all week.. I will give it a try...
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This one wasn't my effort, finished Friday by others, I just posted it. You can thank Tim and Jake to solving the Nero issue.

Last edited by David Newman; March 21st, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Does this install the CFHDDecoder.dll? We we need to pull that out before installing 1.1.3?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
Does this install the CFHDDecoder.dll? We we need to pull that out before installing 1.1.3?
They aren't related, yet. Once NeoScene adds direct CS4 support (rather than through VfW), then removing manually added components will be advised.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So David, I did test the new version and I didn't get errors anymore. I could convert all the files and edit them without problems in CS3 and CS4 (Windows 7 64 bit). The quality of the videos is really good.
Edouard Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Standardizing to 29.97 makes everyone editing life easier, so it is an automatic feature on NeoScene 1.1.3.
[/url]
Also confirming that 1.1.3 works for me as described. The video and audio are in sync and the same length. 29.97 it is!
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Major Player

David, is it possible to allow us to choose if we want resampling or not? You see, resampling creates extreme ghosting, personally, I can't stand the look of resampled video. I prefer a few and between dropped frames than ghosting. On Sony Vegas we can easily disable resample on each clip in the timeline, so I think it's important to have this feature on Cineform's utils as well.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
David, is it possible to allow us to choose if we want resampling or not? You see, resampling creates extreme ghosting, personally, I can't stand the look of resampled video. I prefer a few and between dropped frames than ghosting. On Sony Vegas we can easily disable resample on each clip in the timeline, so I think it's important to have this feature on Cineform's utils as well.
There is absolutely ZERO ghosting, we are not "resampling" the video in that way, just setting the same existing frames at 29.97. What you describe above it what we are fixing, for many users are putting 30.0 into a 29.97 timeline with frame blending on, that produces all those ugly results. This is a real fix for some of Canon's screw-ups, customers are loving it.
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Wrangler

David clarified what he meant by "resampling" here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...s-29-97-a.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Trustee

I downloaded the trial of Neo Scene for Canon 5DMkII video. The 30 to 29.97 solved the frame blend problem. I am using Vegas 8.0(c).

Does it also correct the color space issue? It seems when comparing the native .mov to the Neo Scene .AVI with Canon Zoombrowser, the darks have been lifted and the highlights have been lowered.

I don't want to be correcting for this issue twice.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Neo Scene 1.2 normalizes the Canon 5D color so that it using the same ranges as other cameras (16-235). You don't need to correct for this further.
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Trustee

Perfect. Thanks David.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Major Player

The link to NeoScene v1.1.3 in the first message from David Newman seems to be broken. Is it just me?
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

That's probably because it's no longer in beta. You can download it from the site now as a release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
The link to NeoScene v1.1.3 in the first message from David Newman seems to be broken. Is it just me?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase