Worried about Premiere performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Worried about Premiere performance

I know although the title of the thread sounds like it belongs in the Premiere forum, I thought it may be more pertinent to people here.

I own and rent two SI-2k cameras (soon to be three). The workflow of shooting in SI-2K, editing in Premiere and finishing in Speedgrade XR really impressed me and I went headlong into it. There were teething problems with the workflow in the beginning which I understood and it got resolved very quickly. For some time everything went quite smoothly.

However, recently we have had more and more performance issues with Premiere CS3 to a point that my clients are getting really irritated with our service. There are memory issues, computer hangs, all kinds of problems. CS4, which was supposed to take care of these issues, does not seem to have made major inroads in resolving these issues, although we have not had upgrades from Cineform apart from the beta.

Seriously, I am considering abandoning Premiere altogether and migrating to FCP just because of these nagging and persisting problems because I cannot afford to prolong this situation any longer.

Has anyone used the FCP in this kind of workflow? Have other people had these issues? Is this a Cineform only issue? Please advise.

Last edited by Bhaskar Dhungana; March 28th, 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Bhaskar Dhungana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CS3 + Prospect is much faster than FCP. Most of the issues are due to the Adobe memory problems, which require you to keep your projects smaller than you might want. If you break up the projects, CS3 is stable for highend post. We do see the CS4 has improved some things for memory handling. FCP is an option, and memory handling is a lot better, but on technical, quality, and third party support, things are a lot worse under FCP. I would stick we PC CS3 until both the FCS 3 (when that will be) and CS4 support is done, then choose your path.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Are we getting any closer to CS4 support? Can you share with us your revised timeline?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes and No. :)
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had a lot of problems in the past with Premiere CS3, a lot of system crashes, hang ups and many irritating/frustrating issues. What worked for me: I went for xp x64 instead of 32bits, and 4GB of Ram in one system and the main editing has 8gb, I divide the long projects into sequences, render each sequence and import those files into a new project to edit the whole project. You loose some time rendering sequences, and if you need to change something in the sequence you have to go back to the source edit to refine, since youŽll want to use the sequences in RAW format in SpeedGrade.

IŽve been using that method and I dont have crashes anymore.
Sergio Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #6
New Boot

I got tired of waiting for Adobe to correct their memory management problems in CS4, as well as background app crashes and other Premiere bugs. A 4.1 update is due in April but based on their track record with premiere, I won't wait any longer and am switching to FCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaskar Dhungana View Post
I know although the title of the thread sounds like it belongs in the Premiere forum, I thought it may be more pertinent to people here.

I own and rent two SI-2k cameras (soon to be three). The workflow of shooting in SI-2K, editing in Premiere and finishing in Speedgrade XR really impressed me and I went headlong into it. There were teething problems with the workflow in the beginning which I understood and it got resolved very quickly. For some time everything went quite smoothly.

However, recently we have had more and more performance issues with Premiere CS3 to a point that my clients are getting really irritated with our service. There are memory issues, computer hangs, all kinds of problems. CS4, which was supposed to take care of these issues, does not seem to have made major inroads in resolving these issues, although we have not had upgrades from Cineform apart from the beta.

Seriously, I am considering abandoning Premiere altogether and migrating to FCP just because of these nagging and persisting problems because I cannot afford to prolong this situation any longer.

Has anyone used the FCP in this kind of workflow? Have other people had these issues? Is this a Cineform only issue? Please advise.
Paul Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, a new version of Premiere Pro (4.1) will be release after NAB, with several bug fixes and improvements: new frame export, fast open proyects, new memory handling, etc. (source: Adobe forum)
Will it be the definitive version?
Manuel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Trustee

I'm with David. You have to manage project size, and that has been an issue since Pv5. So I now work in scenes, chapters, individual tracks or songs, etc.

To speed things up and limit duplication, I will import previous projects into new, dump the media I don't need and build what is pertinent.

All said and done, I write out a trimmed project of each piece to a new disk, then import that into a master project, load the sequences in order and render away.

Getting lemonade from this, I found it to be smarter memory and asset management by keeping things lean and trim. It's a workflow that breaks the old habits.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If CS4's memory management is a significant improvement on CS3's then I'd seriously consider upgrading to CS4. Any views on how much better CS4 will be?
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi

I am contemplating vice versa....

In FCP you get no RT effects, color is all over the place. Metadata changed in QT player is totally different than in FCP, I could go on and on....

I have managed to finish some quite big projects in FCP but it not has been easy.

Right now I would stick with what I know and hope to see some real support for professional workflows in CF.

-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase