Neoscene audio synch issues (Canon 5D Mk II) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 29th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Neoscene audio synch issues (Canon 5D Mk II)

I was curious if anybody else is seeing any issues with the audio sync on 5D MK II files that have been converted with NeoScene. I first noticed this a month or two ago but didn't have time to fully track down the issue. This week I've started cutting some of the footage I've been shooting (all of it converted with the latest Neo Scene build) and I am seeing that on longer clips the (conformed by neo scene) audio track is losing synch with the video track. In this case, I'm talking about the audio track from the built-in mic on the 5D. Just for kicks, I tried "unconforming" the audio (time stretching it to 99.90% of the original rate)and it seems to be back in sync. Very strange.

The first time I noticed something was amiss was a month or so ago when I was working on a project where I was trying to synch with some offboard audio. This was a clip that was 14 minutes. Theoretically, assuming the original 5d video footage really was 30.00fps, and neoscene was simply changing the header to 29.97 (as cineform claims), the offboard audio track needed to be stretched by 0.1% (1001/1000=100.1%). At first I thought this factor was working well, but even several minutes into the clip you could see it was still losing synch. I found that the synch was nearly perfect (to my eyes/ears, at least) if I time stretched the audio by another 0.1% (basically 100.1% of 100.1%= 100.201%).

Has anybody else observed this? I'm using Vegas 8.0c and the built-in "Time Stretch" audio FX plugin.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

to add a little bit to my findings, here are a few observations.

source 5D Mk 2 file: video and audio duration 14:03;28, file size: 4.14GB
cineform file: video duration: 14:04;21, audio duration: 14:05;16, file size 11.40GB

It seems as though the audio stretch factor that neo scene is using is being applied twice, causing the loss of synch. The difference appears to be roughly 0.1%, which means I think we need another new build of neoscene.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Fixed about a month ago. You can reconvert with Neo Scene 1.2.1
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Fixed about a month ago. You can reconvert with Neo Scene 1.2.1
hmm, I was pretty sure already had that version with the fix installed when i transcoded these files. I guess I will try again.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok, I can now confirm 100% that this problem occured with the latest version. Also, I confirmed that the previous batch of files were also converted with version 1.2.1 build 113.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i have had loss of sync issues with my last import and i was using the latest version as well.
Anish Sharma is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase