DVD Encoding - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #46
Regular Crew

what would you suggest

I know this disscussion is primarily hd to sd but....
I have some sd footage (dance recital) that after editing in premiere cs3 looks fine with cineform.avi export. sd 16:9. Its about 1h50 min.
I need to get trouble free dvds for the paying parents.
It seems I can only get it to fit on a 4.7gb dvd if compressed at ~5.3mb/sec. . on the pc the quality hits bad (tmpgenc 4 express) If I want to go 8.5-9 then I'll have to go dl....Is that a common situation you find. What is a good compatible dvd-r dl if that's the solution?

Jack
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #47
Major Player

Hi Jack,

I always use 2 4.7 DVDs form my weddings.. You could use DL for the best quality but there is nothing wrong with 2 Discs either. But in order to get the best quality the lease compression is what you need to do.

Oh I alway use Verbtium I have never had a client say they could not plau a disc
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #48
Trustee

Jack
I would definitely go DL.
You went to the trouble to make the best images you could, don't cream them at the last step with too much compression. With DL you can stay at VBR 6-7mbs & get 2 hrs. of great quality.
I also always feel better about handing out a long program on a single disk intead of multiples as well- just my personal quirk.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

Specifically which Verbatim disk are you talking about (for dl) I usually buy taiyo yuden for my single from supermediastore.com. (I would rather give them one disk as well.)

Btw, care to comment on my workflow?...dv avi to premiere pro multiedit (dv ntsc project 48khz) export cineform avi. (without recompress)--> tmpgenc 4.4 compress to mpg.-->dvd architect. I've been doing several small scene jpg captures to compare. The export cineform is acceptably close to the original avi (and looked better then uncompress avi export) BUT then it becomes a lesser of 10 evils trying to pick the best mpg encoded jpg. Trying 8mbs with hi motion search and 10bit dc seems to give a noticably better result when looking at them blown up 300% . Do you find most of the time sharpening helps going from avi to dvd on tv. seems unintuitive because during editing it might appear like over sharpening and then be good on tv. At least that's what it seemed like the little I played with hd--sd dvd. if so , suggest sharpening in premiere or during compression in tmpgenc?

Anyway currently chipping away at mutiediting close and wide shots from two cams. I just hired someone to shoot and give me the avi's. (since I was in the show). This is just a hobby for me but now I got people paying for the dvd and I want them (and my wife, who owns the dance studio) happy. ;)
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #50
Major Player

Highest quality CF master file?

I am in PPCS3 with my Prospect HD project at 1920 x 1080 at 30p.

How do I create the CF Master file?

Do you mean do an export->Movies->Cinefor Export AVI???

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #51
Trustee

Exactly- EXPORT> MOVIE> in the settings use the Cineform compressor, 1080x1920, 30p and render the timeline out to a CFHD.avi movie.
This is now your master HD file.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #52
Major Player

Cool.

Thanks,

Simon
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Exactly- EXPORT> MOVIE> in the settings use the Cineform compressor, 1080x1920, 30p and render the timeline out to a CFHD.avi movie.
This is now your master HD file.
Just remember not to select the "recompress", and check your settings for the CF codec.

The "High HD" setting is plenty good enough for CF'ed HDVs.
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM   #54
Major Player

Thanks!

I decided to just use Debugmode Frameserver which saves me the step of creating the CF Master file.

Simon
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Steve,

I was looking at this tutorial BDVS Tutorials
by Jeff Bellune and I can't tell how the down scaling is done with frame server. Is it done by the Adobe Encoder or the Cineform compressor.

Somehow I had the idea the Cineform downscaling was more accurate than the Encoder Adobe uses, either Premiere or Encore.

Also, how would you generate web video from your "master" using the frameserver technique?

Thanks for your help.

John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #56
Major Player

Hi John, the only thing with using framesaver is Encoe does the transcoding and Encores trancoding really stinks.tmpgenc compression is the best I have been able to find once you import the tmpgenc file to Encoe it wil not transcode the file just the dvd menue and wrap it for Dvd play back.
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase