Cineform feedback after Adobe CS4.1 Update - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 31st, 2009, 05:40 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Dave,

This thread has a lot of good info on your question: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-encoding.html

Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM   #32
Major Player

I-Frames vs. I+P Frames

Ok, I cut down a sequence to about 34 minutes, so that the export duration should be relatively short--two or three hours. I exported once with I&P frames, and once with I frames.

The I&P Frames export completed normally. There is, of course, no audio, so *that* still needs fixing.

The I Frames export failed. I didn't get an error, but AME stopped processing about 1:30 into the encode, and ImporterProcessServer was missing from the process list.

Is there any way to log the memory usage through the duration of the encode?

CFHD is still pretty much unusable with CS4, even after the build 212 and CS4 4.1 updates. Doesn't really do me much good if I can't export masters (with audio!!!).

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: The audio only seems to be missing if my master track is 5.1. With a stereo master track, the audio is present. Frustrating...but if I could export an entire video, then I could probably work around that until it's fixed. Support ticket updated with new information...

Last edited by Matt Vanecek; May 31st, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Audio discoveries.
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Well, my experiment with importing my project into a new project is showing some success! For whatever reason, I can render the new one at about 10x, where the old one is about 35x! Strange, the new one is an import of the entire project. I tried opening the old one and clearing the cache but it didn't help.

In any case, I split the final timeline into two, and rendered the first half in CF, came out great! When I tried to kickoff the second half it rendered for a few minutes then I got the dreaded ImporterProcessServer hang (ticket logged).

I just restarted the second half, we'll see how it goes.

Also, to begin building the widescreen DVD version, I took the first half, which is 1440x1080, and resized it to 720x480 in HDLink. Looks great! Next I'll use AME to convert it to MPEG2.

Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM   #34
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Getting audio here. Please submit a tickets to both companies.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM   #35
Trustee

David
I'm not clear about the new higher downscaling quality of HDLink.
The notion I have is that making a master CFHD and using HDLink to downscale to SD gives a higher quality SD master than if I were to downscale from the CFHD timeline using AME with the Cineform Compressor.
Is this correct- HDLink is better than CF/AME??
Thanks
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #36
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We use the same scaling code in our importer within Premiere, however there are situations where PPro messes up, it is all about avoided these corner cases. Also HDLink is significantly faster.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:59 PM   #37
New Boot

premiere 4.1 and neoscene 130 updates-
since i updated both two days ago, my timelines went from 'yellow' to 'red', ive uninstalled both premiere and neoscene completely, even manually via registry, but just not able to get yellow back, and ive spent the weekend trying to resolve it (and submitted a trouble ticket to cineform i believe). i hope i can get this resolved, otherwise premiere 4.1 seems fine for me

another new issue, when exporting in premiere using the cineform AVI/MOV codecs, i get a 'gdi****.dll' error and crash back to premiere, but any other codec goes thru fine. if i load AME SA then yes, cineform codec works.

so importing and exporting with pp4.1 and cineform files is an issue i cant resolve it seems.
Gary Greenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Getting audio here. Please submit a tickets to both companies.
David,
I have a ticket already open with Cineform. I will not open a ticket with Adobe until Cineform confirms and provides actionable evidence that this is not a CFHD issue. I can export my videos with audio to my heart's content using any other codec. The problem only manifests when using Cineform's codec; therefore, Cineform gets first crack.

Thanks,
Matt
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:33 PM   #39
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The reason I mention file tickets with Adobe is these issues are caused by their API changes, you won't hear of CS3 users having these problems. We need Adobe to stay on stop of their API support. We have many tech requests into Adobe, no harm it let them know why from users also.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:15 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
The reason I mention file tickets with Adobe is these issues are caused by their API changes, you won't hear of CS3 users having these problems. We need Adobe to stay on stop of their API support. We have many tech requests into Adobe, no harm it let them know why from users also.
Dave,
If it will help Cineform (or if the problem really is Adobe's) then I will fill out a ticket there, but I don't want to be a bouncing ball between two companies' support teams. I'd like to wait and see what you're tech finds in response to my updates on the relevant ticket, if that's OK. I just exported several H.264 clips from CFHD AVI source, where the sequences were mastered in 5.1, and the audio downconverted to stereo and exported without issue. It is only when exporting to CFHD AVI that I have any problems.

Thanks,
Matt
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM   #41
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I was just venting. Likely zero chance of Adobe support talking to engineering anyway. We do believe it our responsibility to fix, the tricky part is the our support of an underdocumented new Adobe Premiere what is causing the issues. We will continue filing our reports with Adobe to help narrow this down.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase