24f showing as 29.97 in CS3???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24f showing as 29.97 in CS3????

Shot footage in 24f 1080 HDV on a XH-A1. Captured with NEOSCENE with Maintain Source Frame Format checked. When I import into CS3 the clip's Frame Rate is being displayed as 29.97fps.
Does anyone know why this is happening?
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Come on folks....no takers? I tried capturing again but with the Convert to 24p(NTSC only) button checked and it shows as 23.967fps in Premiere CS3. What I'm wondering is why doesn't it say 23.967fps in Premiere CS3 when captured with the Maintain source frame format button checked???

Any help would be greatly apprecieated.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Trustee

If I am not mistaken, Canon 24F is 24fps embedded in a 30fps data stream.
To get true 24fps on your PPro timeline you need to remove the pull-down (extra frames) as part of the CF convert to avi.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Removing the pull down??? Can I just use the Convert to 24p(NTSC only) option when capturing in NeoScene?
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm not familiar with NeoScene, but in Prospect HD- HD Link, in the prefs dialog box, there is a section "Frame Rate Change (Advanced)" with a check off box for "Remove 3-2 Pulldown"
In Neo Scene, "Convert to 24p" may perform the same function.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Read this whole thread to be confused, or read just the last post for clarification of Canon 24F:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-23-98fps.html
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Video frame rates confusing? It wouldn't be video, if it wasn't confusing. And we wouldn't need no stinkin' message boards, to paraphrase Mel Brooks. Let me take me shot at it:

First, 24p is from NTSC land, so, no matter what video camera is shooting it, it's almost always 23.967 fps. But most video cameras shoot at a fixed frame rate, either 29.97 fps (NTSC) or 25 fps (PAL). The new consumer Canon HV40 supposedly has a "native" 24p mode, so it is not impossible to do so. It's all about saving money on the camera design. And you save money by having a fixed frame rate.

So basically what you have is 23.967 fps embedded in a 29.97 fps stream. 24F has pulldown flags, so NLEs and media players can read the flags and automatically know which frames to utilize to get 23.967 fps. Most consumer camcorders that record 24p have it embedded in a 60i stream with no pulldown flags. In that case, the NLE (or other video software) has to guess the cadence of progressive and interlaced frames, in order to produce 23.967 fps.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jack and Jay, your responses really helped me a lot! This is starting to make sense now.
So when NeoScene is in recording in "Maintain Source Frame Format" mode it is capturing the whole 29.97fps stream from the XH-A1 and disregarding the 23.967fps flags or CS3 doesn't understand them??? Is that right?

So, if I capture 24f footage in NeoScene in "Convert to 24p(NTSC only)" mode then I'm really getting true 23.967fps, not 29.97fps with 23.967 flags.

I'm wondering how this would effect burning 24p DVD's in encore. I was under the impression DVD's needed a 29.97fps source and then you add flags so the DVD player can show 24P footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase