NeoScene in CS3, what project settings? HDV & 5Dmk2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NeoScene in CS3, what project settings? HDV & 5Dmk2

I'm using CS3 to edit both XH-A1 HDV and 5Dmk2 on the same timeline.
I've captured both with Neoscene with "Maintain Source Format" checked.
I'm assuming I should now have 29.97fps footage for both the XH-A1 and 5Dmk2????

What project settings should I be editing with in CS3???
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you HDV source was 30p, then use a 1920x1080p30 timeline in desktop mode. Otherwise use a 60i 1920x1080 desktop mode timeline.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks for the response David. So, whenever I start a new project and I'm planning on using NeoScene Cineform footage....I should always use Desktop mode?
Thanks for your help.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Desktop mode is a good choice, as it has no predefined limitations of some of the other modes.
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
I'm using CS3 to edit both XH-A1 HDV and 5Dmk2 on the same timeline.
I've captured both with Neoscene with "Maintain Source Format" checked.
I'm assuming I should now have 29.97fps footage for both the XH-A1 and 5Dmk2????

What project settings should I be editing with in CS3???
With the 5D2, NeoScene will only output real 29.97 fps, even though the original source is real 30fps, and you have "Maintain Source Format" checked. I confirmed this with neoscene support. You must use a premiere project of 29.97 fps to get things to time out right.

When I complained to them they told me to buy their much more expensive product. Apparently they consider having the UI say "Maintain Source Format" OK even though it is a lie.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6
New Boot

if 30fps is the true canon file, and neoscene changes the output to 29.97 even if you dont want the change, it is rather peculiar to have to buy a more expensive program to 'not' have neoscene change your original format, and you only bought neoscene for transcoding for easier video handling in pp with a canon 5dmkII.
seems like neoscene would keep you at 30fps, and you have to pay more for changing it to 29.97, not the other way around.
i use a canon 5dmkII 30fps with two flip HD cameras of 30fps, i have no intentions of going beyond internet and computer viewing, so staying with my original canon format would help me out, i didnt buy neoscene for framerate conversion i only bought it for easier use within PP. unless im missing something here about 29.97 being a absolute benefit for me.
i wonder when the 5dmkII gets 24fps if we will be allowed to keep 24fps or itll force it to 23.97 unless one upgrades and pays more just to keep their original format...
Gary Greenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

They are good reason to do what do for a consumer level product. It is called reduction in support load. 95% of users need 29.97. If you want 30fps, just interpret the footage as 30.0, we just prefer to tell that to 1 in 20, rather than saying interpret to 29.97 for 19 out of 20 users. If you use 30p in 29.97 timelines, you get quality issues and CineForm doesn't like that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase