Cineform output via HD-SDI (Decklink) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform output via HD-SDI (Decklink)

Does anyone know if the following will work--Cineform based avi file (HD 1440 x 1080) imported into Premiere 2.0 (previously edited on CS3) for playout using Decklink Card (w/ HD-SDI output). I downloaded Neo Player so the playback codec would get installed.

The file plays back but is jittery both on the computer monitor and the HD-SDI output monitor. The Hardware seems suffiicient (but I could be wrong): Xeon5335 2.66 CPU, 2gigs RAM, G-Tech RAID drive, with media file on it. Trying to get my HD project to an HDCam tape using a post prod. system I haven't used yet.
William Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You need play out with something other than Premiere. Premiere with Prospect HD only works with AJA, and Premiere without the Prospect HD accelerator is just too slow in many cases. I'm sure the same clip plays fine in Window Media Player. I'm not a Black Magic user, but is there some standalone playout tools you could use? Any others know of this?
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have access to a Final Cut Pro system with Aja/Kona outputs. Will the following work?

1. Output Cineform sequence from Premiere as .mov file(s).
2. Import .mov files into fcp system/project.
3. Playout via HD-SDI to tape.

Does the fcp system need anything other than Neo Player installed?
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That works with AJA next drivers, which I'm not sure are public yet (we are told they are very soon.)
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Is there another way of getting my sequence out via HD-SDI to HDCam? Can I export my sequence as a different file type (non-Cineform) so that it will play out via an HD-SDI port of any card? If so, what would be the best method/file type?
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi, Some time ago we had a problem moving a Blackmagic SD PAL project from CS3 to Ppro 2. For us at any rate, it was not backward compatible (prehaps a seperate issue).

We also needed to output this video file for transfer to digibeta at the post house, for addition of final audio mix. We were advised by them to render the project as a series of uncompressed targa files, which was then recorded to tape by them. The targas also played back in a premiere CS2 timeline, in this case a Blackmagic 10 bit SD PAL preset.

Don't know if this is any help, or whether it will apply to your project, good luck anyway.
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That sounds like an interesting and possible solution. render times seem like they would be quite long though. I just did a test render--1 minute of uncompressed tga takes about hour.

Once I render it out from CS3--do you know what project settings I use to get it into Premiere 2 and onto a timeline?
Old June 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've always rendered a tga sequence if need to xfer to a different application for final grade or master. Output the audio separately resync on the new machine. Very reliable and avoids the endless headache of potentially incompatible codecs. Just leave it to render overnight...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase