Why No Conversion of FlashXDR XDCAM to Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1

Why No Conversion of FlashXDR XDCAM to Cineform

Hi David....

I'm a little confused about Cineform's decision to not provide conversion support of the XDCAM 422 codec as used by the FlashXDR and Nanoflash. According to a reply to my trouble ticket, Cineform knows what the problem is, but, you consider this a low priority problem, so, Cineform will not be addressing the issue. In a different post, you indicated that the problem is that Sony has not released a decoder solution for this codec, so, Cineform will not address it until a decoder is released.

As a workaround, I am currently demuxing the XDCAM 422 codec with Snell and Wilcox(for the video) and the Mainconcept reference Codec(for the audio). Once the video and audio are dis-embedded, I can convert the resulting m2v video file with Neo HD. Unfortunately, Snell and Wilcox provides an aes audio file, which is unreadable, so, I have to run the Mainconcept reference to decode the audio to wav.

If I can work this path, why does Cineform need the Sony decoder? I am assuming there are not enough XDCAM 422 users for Cineform to address this issue.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Bill, there is nothing sinister or draconian going on. It's simply a matter of too many projects and too few resources. There is quite a bit of software engineering to do on our side to support the Convergent recorders, but there are also a lot of other projects we're being asked to do. We simply haven't been able to put this on the short-term list right now. Our comment about Sony's decoder availability (or lack thereof) was a hope that Sony would offer a component to make the life of their customers easier. If they had a decoder we would be able to integrate it quickly. With the lack of a decoder we have to write our own and it is more work than we have time for in the short term.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Ahh, I see. I didn't think anything negative, just curious is all. Not a conspiracy theorist ;o)
With the interest in the Nanoflash getting greater, I would hope the demand gets bigger.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase