Masses of P2 footage/How to log? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Masses of P2 footage/How to log?

I have 25 hours of P2 1080p encoded to CF to go through and choose scenes from. I would like to view each clip, enter information somewhere and then have that info available for search later. Can't use Bridge and am looking for a reasonable solution.

Anybody have some practical suggestions? Thanks.
Mike Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use CatDV (so do some big broadcasters, I believe). Really good value from CatDV 8.0 Home. I've got masses of EX-1 originated Cineform footage and catalgue/search in exactly the way you describe.
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ian...thanks for the heads up on CatDV. I'm checking it out now. Do you use the pro version?
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No, I find the Standard version enough for me - but I did set up the Pro version for a digital tv channel I was involved in starting up. You can always move from one to the other.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ian...in your post you mentioned that you were using CatDV for cataloging a bunch of cineformed files.

However the people at squarebox tell me that they don't presently support cineform files which confuses me. Unfortunately I'm out on a long shoot and will not be able to test it out for a couple of weeks.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

CatDV is quite happy with Cineform avi files on my (Windows XP 32 and Windows 7 64) machine - I've got one catalogue with nearly 1750 clips in it, all Cineform from XDCAM EX or HDCAM originals. There may be some things CatDV can do that it won't do to Cineform files, but for producing and keeping a catalogue of online and offline files with added comments, and pretty well instant searches it does me well. But you'll have to decide for yourself if it does what you want.

Try out the free trial when you get back. It's also very quick to import files, so it won't cost you much time if you decide it's not for you.
Ian
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. I could have waited until I got back to my office, but now knowing that cineform and CatDv can make a usable database, I can use the next two weeks to practice using the trial program. Thanks again.
Mike Falconer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase