Cineform + Neat Video crashes AME at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineform + Neat Video crashes AME

I'm using Neat Video's Reduce Noise plugin. Whenever I try to export a CFHD AVI that also has the Reduce Noise effect applied, AME crashes completely. Anybody else seen this?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What version of Neat Video... and what version of AME ( CS4?? )

I have not had issues with CS3.. and I have not tried it on CS4..
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Major Player

CS4 4.1
Neat Video 2.22 Pro.

I have multi-processor support turned on, etc. The only other effect is the First Light adjustments, and it's in a multi-camera sequence. I did, however, try just a 5 second clip from the source AVI, with just First Light and Neat Video (bare clip, no multi-camera, etc.), and exporting to Cineform AVI invariably crashes AME. 100%.

Thanks
Matt
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek View Post
CS4 4.1
Neat Video 2.22 Pro.
Matt, do you have the latest Cineform release, 1.35? This solved some Cineform Media Encoder issues for me. I can encode Neat Video okay (takes forever).

Chuck
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Sorry, forgot to include that. yes, I have Prospect HD 4.0.8, b217.
Thanks,
Matt
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek View Post
Sorry, forgot to include that. yes, I have Prospect HD 4.0.8, b217.
Grr, had time to verify that I could still encode Neat Video in CS4 with Cineform. Nope, this killed Media Encoder. Now I can't encode anything with Cineform from CS4; re-installed Cineform (NeoScene) and still no joy. May be time to file a trouble ticket.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Neat Video puts very heavy demands on both memory and processor. Whenever I use it I render out to an intermediate file, and then use that for subsequent steps ... Neat is the one program that tends to overheat my computer.

With AME's tendency towards memory/crash issues I'd say its asking for trouble to combine it with Neat.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I haven't tried what Matt is doing. I just got CS4 suite and Neoscene. Already had Neat Video. So to avoid this problem you should do one encoding with edits and then a second with Neat Video or??
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Major Player

I checked with Neat Video support. They had me try a couple things--set the Temporal Filter to 0, and use PPro's Echo effect WITHOUT Reduce Noise. Setting the Reduce Noise's Temporal Filter did not change the crashing. Using Echo (with Reduce Noise removed from the sequence, so only Echo was applied), also caused AME to crash when exporting CFHD.

It's probably not a Neat Video problem, and very well could be a Cineform problem. Exporting from CFHD to other codecs works just fine (have an H264 export going right now, with Reduce Noise applied, and exported a MS DV AVI late last week). Throwing the Echo in there further supports a CFHD issue. I won't rule out CS4 as the culprit, but I'm going to wait for Cineform to indicate that it's an Adobe problem.

I did open a trouble ticket and provide a link to a sample project. I wish Cineform would publish what the max file size is for trouble tickets!! the zip file was only 32MB, but the site wouldn't let me attach it. I sent the same project to Neat Video, just in case, but the Echo thing seems to absolve Neat Video.

Thanks,
Matt
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I had a similar problem. On my dual core (3 gigs ram) I found out yesterday that I have to wait until I'm ready to render before adding Neat Video to the project. Otherwise Neat Video sucks up all the available ram when doing pre renders. I'd get little windows saying Neat Video requires another block of memory which I couldn't back out of and would have to force quit the program. Adding Neat Video just before final render handled it.
David Merrill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase