FirstLight SpeedGrade OnSet integration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FirstLight SpeedGrade OnSet integration

When I attempt to install a .look file I have exported from a color grade I have made in SpeedGrade OnSet LookInstaller returns the following error message: "LUT (xxxxx.look) is too small or invalid" and the look is not available to me in FirstLight. I'm certain I am just overlooking something but I've been beating my head against this for some time now...

Many thanks,
David
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

David,

Could you please link the look file that didn't work. It should work with the smaller LUTs, so maybe that is something to be fixed. However, it will work with the 64x64x64 LUTs, this is an option in Speed Grade OnSet.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You should also make sure that Speedgrade has closed the file. If ir has not, the end of the file will be missing.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

David - sorry to be so slow... I was away. I've attached a .look file that returns the "(xxx.look) is too small or invalid" error message. I've tried all 3D LUT sizes from 8x8x8 through 64x64x64 all return the same error message. The attached file is 8x8x8 for the attachment size. (I made the .look a .txt for an uploadable file type.)

Craig - Thanks for the input. I'm new to SpeedGrade and didn't follow "You should also make sure that Speedgrade has closed the file. If ir has not, the end of the file will be missing." I am simply executing an export command for the grade I have created. How do I know if SpeedGrade OnSet has closed the file?

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PageNightBoxx4_look.txt (20.9 KB, 406 views)
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Weird, that file is both truncated as Craig predicted, and it works here anyway. Maybe you have an older LookInstaller.exe. C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools and double click on LookInstaller.exe -- mines says 1.01 (c) - 2007, so that hasn't change is a while.
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Same here, LookInstaller version 1.01 (c) - 2007.

It had been working when I last went down this road a few weeks ago. I've since upgraded to a more recent P4K. I'm, I think, one behind at Prospect4Kv407b216-090710_7_12_09. I assume LookInstaller reinstalls with each upgrade. I'll upgrade to v4.08 and see if that somehow magically helps.
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It magically helped. Whatever it was, it's working fine now after installing P4K v4.08.

Thanks again for your ready availability and help.

David
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Spoke too soon... Magic didn't work this time.

Still having the same problem except for (inexplicably) the one file that I attached earlier which has a break in the data followed by

</data>
</LUT>
<LUT1D>
<size>"256"</size>
<data>"

before another block of data.

All of the other files I have made with SpeedGrade recently that don't load seem to truncate before these lines. All of the .look files I have made in the past that have loaded and work have the break in the data with the above characters. Is it a SpeedGrade problem?
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You may need to quit the Speedgrade application to flush the file to disk. Whether it can be converted to a CF look file may depend on where the file is truncated. On the Mac, an XML parser is used to read the file, so the tags that mark the end of sections must be present or the file is not recognized. <data> must have the matching </data> tag.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

David, Craig - Reinstalling SpeedGrade and CineForm seems to be helping. I'll keep hitting at it. Thanks for the Help.
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase