Exporting Speeds Neo Scene/Neo HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Thanks, that sort simple test we can repeat, and report to Adobe as needed.
Well I exported my master Cineform AVI file and added the extra music tracks - Goes back to 20+ hours. So later on I'll get some other MP3s and test them just incase there is something wrong with the MP3.

Hope to get to the bottom of this tonight!

Oh forgot to add exporting to H264 MP4 exports fine so I'm guesing its something to do with Cineform/Adobe AVI?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks for the feedback, I can now reproduce the export delay with stacked mp3s. Working on it now.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #18
Major Player

David great news!! Glad it wasnt just me. Its been driving me mad.
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

And it was driving us mad to, but we found it with your input regarding mp3s. It was a moderate Adobe glitch causing our export to think Adobe had crashed. We put watchdog timers in many of our tools so if the calling application dies/locks (Premiere -- it used to do that a lot) we auto close our tools to clean up memory. BUT if you had many mp3s (I stacked 3) or other more complex audio types, CS4 was taking 15-20 seconds to return the frame worth of audio data -- our watchdog timer kicked in at 10 seconds to say Premiere has locked so shutdown. It seems the CS4 is slower than we thought :), so we set this timer to 100 seconds to get CS4 more time to wake up. Now a reported 20hour export is saying 3 minutes. Note: this threaded rendered component is the same used in CS3 (10s was plenty for that product), so this just another example of CS4 weirdness we constantly hit with, slowing CS4 development.

Here the component with the longer timeout.
http://www.cineform.com/downloads/CF...oc20090812.zip

Unzip and copy over CFRenderProc.exe in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore\CineForm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\CineForm

The full release with this patch will be out in a few hours.

David
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Major Player

Great news David - Testing it now.
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #21
Major Player

Yeah it works - Export says est of 40mins which I can deal with!! Doesnt max out my CPU/Memory though but not fussed it doesnt say 20 hours to export a little video.

Cheers David and many thanks for the quick reply/fix.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #22
Major Player

We regularly export 8-10 tracks of .wav and have none of these probs, so it would certainly seem to be MP3 compression specific. Using stacked MP3's can introduce other probs as well. We've found a good workaround is to use ONLY .wav or similar.

Same thing is true for .jpg still compression probs we still have once in a while (flashes, green output, and wierd behavior). That's the main reason we convert EVERY still to PNG or similar. Kills the probs before they happen.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
We regularly export 8-10 tracks of .wav and have none of these probs, so it would certainly seem to be MP3 compression specific. Using stacked MP3's can introduce other probs as well. We've found a good workaround is to use ONLY .wav or similar.

Same thing is true for .jpg still compression probs we still have once in a while (flashes, green output, and wierd behavior). That's the main reason we convert EVERY still to PNG or similar. Kills the probs before they happen.
Cheers Stephen. I have seen the green flashes so I will convert thes to PNG from now on and the MP3 bug shouldnt happen anymore now.

David
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi David,

I might have another bug. I'm exporting a video slideshow that is 1 hour 10 mins long and again it says 166 hours to export?

It is Cineform AVI 1920*1080 Square pixels with music in the background. The AVI is 1 complete file. No effects inside the AVI.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #25
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Run the latest version, as there was a fault found with MP3s being so slow in CS4 the export engine would timeout. If that is still occurring -- we put the timeout at 100seconds thinking Adobe can't be that slow (however it was take 15seconds to return the first sample, so who know how bad CS4 is.) The workaround (in addition to contacting support), export the audio only to wav an import that to replace your MP3s.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Run the latest version, as there was a fault found with MP3s being so slow in CS4 the export engine would timeout. If that is still occurring -- we put the timeout at 100seconds thinking Adobe can't be that slow (however it was take 15seconds to return the first sample, so who know how bad CS4 is.) The workaround (in addition to contacting support), export the audio only to wav an import that to replace your MP3s.
Yeah I'm already at full updated version. Even tried the bug fix in this thread.

Exporting video on its own = 5 hours
Exporting audio = <3 mins
Exporting video+audio = 166/180 hours

This video is just 1 hour of pictures with MP3s attached, I guess Adobe can't handle these so I will just have to convert them to WAV before I use them!
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #27
Major Player

Video with attached WAV file is about 6 hours.

So its just another step I need to take to export a video.

Your 1st bug fix seems to work with MP3s upto about 40 mins but any longer and reverts back to massive hours.

Come on Adobe!
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #28
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Adobe must be decoding all mp3s to a cache somewhere before return the first sample, pretty simplistic (not clever,) I'll increase the "is Adobe dead yet?" time out.
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #29
Trustee

This thread should be required reading for everyone who is contemplating buying Premiere. Perhaps reputable dealers could require that people read it and sign a performance waiver before selling Premiere to anyone.

On the more serious side, I have a theory about flaky engineering support from Adobe. I suspect that in some cases people who understand the software code and have the ability to fix problems have left the company. It's hard to believe that Adobe would refuse to fix problems just out of bull-headed stubbornness; I suspect there is no one there who knows how to fix it.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
This thread should be required reading for everyone who is contemplating buying Premiere. Perhaps reputable dealers could require that people read it and sign a performance waiver before selling Premiere to anyone.

On the more serious side, I have a theory about flaky engineering support from Adobe. I suspect that in some cases people who understand the software code and have the ability to fix problems have left the company. It's hard to believe that Adobe would refuse to fix problems just out of bull-headed stubbornness; I suspect there is no one there who knows how to fix it.
I agree! I moved from Pr 1.5.1 and although I didnt have any of the fancy features of CS4 it worked and worked well! So after 3 versions how can they get it so wrong?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase